Fish Eye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just be careful of your strobes and fins. If you are not careful, they can get in the picture very easily when shooting 10.5mm :)

thanks so much! Your Kona shots were really great. I liked the eel very much. I thought I was going to shoot yesterday with the new fisheye BUT I discovered the dome port for the 12-24mm too long. The 10.5 is tiny! So now, the next question is....should I order the 5503.15 dome port (about 150) OR wait for the new 5510.81 (about 400+!). I guess it is 8" dome and can be used with the 12-24mm lense. ( I already have the 6" port for that though.) Has anyone read about the advantages of the 400 dollar 8" dome.? IT may be overkill for me, but I wonder if I am missing something... I talked to someone at Ikelite and he said "wider and softer". He did not really sell me on the extra price as far as justifying it though. Any Nikon/ Ikelite/fisheye people out there?

Oh, and where are the #'s on the Ikelite ports?

catherine96821:
thanks so much! Your Kona shots were really great. I liked the eel very much. I thought I was going to shoot yesterday with the new fisheye BUT I discovered the dome port for the 12-24mm too long. The 10.5 is tiny! So now, the next question is....should I order the 5503.15 dome port (about 150) OR wait for the new 5510.81 (about 400+!). I guess it is 8" dome and can be used with the 12-24mm lense. ( I already have the 6" port for that though.) Has anyone read about the advantages of the 400 dollar 8" dome.? IT may be overkill for me, but I wonder if I am missing something... I talked to someone at Ikelite and he said "wider and softer". He did not really sell me on the extra price as far as justifying it though. Any Nikon/ Ikelite/fisheye people out there?

Oh, and where are the #'s on the Ikelite ports?

With the release of their 8" dome, Ike has finally created a system that can be used for all of your major Nikon W/A lenses (specifically the 12-24 and the 10.5) My understanding is the 8" dome has extension tubes of various lengths that will serve to facilitate these two lenses with one dome (as opposed to what I currently do - carry around two domes...) I really like the idea of one dome with different tubes (stalks, they call them.)

Dollar wise, it works out just a bit more for the 8' dome and appropriate stalks than it did for the two dome ports I have now. So if you're thinking of getting the 12-24 (the lens I use most on land) AND the 10.5, its probably a good idea to get the 8" multi-purpose dome. if I was doing it today, I'd definately go with the 8" and stalks and not the two separate domes, separate DOMKE wraps, etc.

Apart from the over/under possibilities the 8" opens up (tough for me to do an O/U with a small dome on a pitching sea...) it is supposed to sharpen up what are currently described as the soft corners of the 10.5 shots. As most of my 10.5 shots feature water or sand in the corners, I haven't noticed!

I only have three lenses I use underwater, and three ports (one flat, two domes) so its easy to determine which one goes to which lens. I haven't been able to find labels or identifying marks on the ports themselves. If I had several flats I'd probably label them. The only thing I have labeled at present is the zoom gear for my 12-24 lens (well, everything is labeled with my name and number - but only the zoom ring has the lens number on it... guess I figger I'll get another zoom lens someday!)

Big help, Ken....

K.

well, you answered all my questions even better than the person at Ikelite. I have the 12-24 mm and the dome port 6" already so I will not bother waiting for the "new system". Thanks again!

the 105 macro is a great lense, has telephoto function too.

Oh, and I just noticed an entire thread devoted to this same question about the new 8" port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom