Fisheye for E-PL3 in Oly housing dome?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubanomad

Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have the PT-EP05L housing for my Olympus E-PL3 and use it with the The 9-18mm lens with Zen dome ordered from Backscatter.
I am interested in mounting a fisheye onto my E-PL3 probably the Samyang or Rokinon 7.5mm Ultra wide angle Fisheye for Micro Four thirds.
Can anyone advise if my Zen Dome port will work for this or is it too long and I see the edges of the dome rather than getting a nice clear fisheye view?

I have tried this lens underwater but with the Precision dome. It can be made to work albeit with some difficulty; as Phil1 notes it is a manual lens.

I think the ideal fisheye is the 8mm Panasonic fisheye lens. I don't think this will work in the 9-18mm Zen dome (WA-100); there will be a lot of vignetting. There is a Zen dome designed for this lens (DP-100) which is glass. Personally I have the 8mm Precision dome which is acrylic.

Phil2

and the precision dome is cheaper than the zen...499 vs 799 if i recall correctly.

I have the setup (Samyang 7.5mm and ZEN Dome). The dome needs a little bit of work done to fit to the PT-EP05 housing, but not much. I saw an article about it I believe here in the forum, but can't find it now. You just need to reduce the heigth of the (IMO anyway useless) macro light switch, then it fits.

Phil already mentioned, that this is a fully manual lens. And while I thought it wouldn't matter to me, it does. So I think sooner or later I'll bite the bullet and get that panasonic 8mm lens.

BR
Zelko

i can say this...above ground, it is still very easy to use (set to infinity) and produces pretty good images. i imagine it takes some practice uw but i think it coud be done. phil posted some pics a while back but i would like to see others' results as well....

7628267184_d30cd48c34_c.jpg

7628832838_22ef0a7ede_c.jpg

1) Holzstock: yes you just cut a few mm off the cover for the macro light switch & then the dome fits on the housing. It is obvious what to do once you have them both in front of you
2) Chile: I agree the Samyang is a good lens - but the 8mm Pana is simply ideal. It is definitely the one to get if you think you will do a lot of wide-angle photography. It is my favourite lens.

1) Holzstock: yes you just cut a few mm off the cover for the macro light switch & then the dome fits on the housing. It is obvious what to do once you have them both in front of you
2) Chile: I agree the Samyang is a good lens - but the 8mm Pana is simply ideal. It is definitely the one to get if you think you will do a lot of wide-angle photography. It is my favourite lens.

i do plan to get one but for now my 9-18 is working fine....using the samyang above water does whet the appetite to hurry up and get the dome and panny, tho

Phil, yes I know, I've done that already :) It's really easy and in a few minutes done. But I've seen an article describing what has to be done. It had even photos. Unfortunatelly I can't find it...

Yes, the Samyang is good for above water. I really like it a lot. But I really don't like this lack of control for underwater. Maybe itis irrational but the feeling not being able to control aperture or focusing makes me uncomfortable.

br,
zelko

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom