Five stages of owning a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just finished (I hope) bringing a 16 ft 1980 Vanguard (1999 outboard) to safe running order, as well as outfitting it for mooring in a marina. Rebuilt carbs, bilge pump, new batteries, new fuel line, voltmeters, mooring cover, bumper attachments, reupholstered rear seats and a removable boarding ladder. Of course everything you need to work on is either under the front dash and/ or closed bow, in the rear bilge area or under the gunwales....and the scratchy, roughly finished fiberglass in those areas.

The $1000 for everything is a bit of a joke, but it's not far off. I probably spent $3500 CDN on a boat that I bought for around that in 1994. Oh well it does the job and cost a lot less than a newer used one.

Just finished (I hope) bringing a 16 ft 1980 Vanguard (1999 outboard) to safe running order, as well as outfitting it for mooring in a marina. Rebuilt carbs, bilge pump, new batteries, new fuel line, voltmeters, mooring cover, bumper attachments, reupholstered rear seats and a removable boarding ladder. Of course everything you need to work on is either under the front dash and/ or closed bow, in the rear bilge area or under the gunwales....and the scratchy, roughly finished fiberglass in those areas.

The $1000 for everything is a bit of a joke, but it's not far off. I probably spent $3500 CDN on a boat that I bought for around that in 1994. Oh well it does the job and cost a lot less than a newer used one.
That is why we still use a 98 Bayliner Capri 1950... bought new and used for a few years, then sat neglected while I was deployed and stationed elsewhere. Brought it back to life with a carb rebuild, new gimble bearing and bellows and fuel pump. It isn't pretty but it floats and goes. Does great for an evening cruise on the lake or towing the kids on a tube. No payment and only maint costs makes a boat affordable.

The best two days of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
I built a boat from scratch once from a set if plans I bought from Glen-L Marine Designs in Belflower, California. It was a Northern Dory design which has characteristic 30 degree flarings sides with a lot of freeboard, a turned up bow for running into swell/waves, and this particular model had a square back for running an outboard. Normally the Eastern Dorys were rowed so they were double enders. I had to sell her in 2010 because of hard times and I miss that boat something awful. It’s different when you build one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom