FLL / Key Largo Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jl_va_21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back from a nice dive trip in Florida and thought I'd pass along my report for anyone that may be considering a similar trip.

I flew down to Ft. Lauderdale and met up with the dive buddy and rented a car. We wanted to try a local place for an afternoon warm-up/check-out dive and ended up arranging a guided shore dive at Datura (Lauderdale-by-the-Sea) with Doug from Video Dude Productions (www.videodudeproductions.com). The conditions were a little rough and the vis was pretty bad, but he was a good guide and I'd recommend him if you ever need a DM in the area. We saw the cannons and made it out to the second reef. Saw a puffer fish and some tiny juvinile Sargeant Majors - but nothing super exciting. We had a good time though.

We then headed down to Key Largo to start off our 3 night dive package with Rainbow Reef Dive Center. We were very happy with them and with our accomodations next to their dock at the Holiday Inn Key Largo. It was basic, but affordable and clean and included breakfast.

We headed out to the Spiegal Grove for our first dive in the Keys. The current was very strong but it was a good experience and the wreck was cool to sea, though we didn't cover too much of it. The second dip was on Five Caves (French Reef) and had great vis and only a slight surge. We were both feeling a little under the weather that day and the seas didn't help so we decided to take the afternoon off. We ended up checking out the history of diving museum in Islamorada. Kinda low-budget museum, but an interesting visit if you're a diver.

The next day we got in 4 dives. The conditions were a little rough in the morning but I managed to get a few decent shots on the first one. I think this one is my favorite of the trip:

IMG_0920.JPG

This crab was kind of cool too:

IMG_0929.JPG

Both morning dives were back on different parts of French Reef. Then in the afternoon we headed out to Molasses Reef where we had the best conditions of the trip. The final dive, at Fire Coral Cave, was fantastic. Saw a huge goliath grouper and lots of large schools of various types. One of my favorite dives I can remember and it was all in about 20-25 feet of water.

We ate at Mrs Mac's Kitchen that night and loved it. Great food. It was short trip, so I flew back the next evening.

Overall here are my thoughts:

Key Largo = It was my first time in the keys and was pleased to find that the diving can be on par with some of the bigger name caribbean places I've visited, though the conditions may be less predictable. The wind and vis varied so widely that I would guess on a typical multi day trip you are almost guaranteed to have some great dives, but also so that aren't as great. Still it seemed like the rewards and odds were worth the visit and I look forward to going back again sometime.

Rainbow Reef Dive Center = These guys were great. Super accomodating and flexible and letting us make change to add/remove dives as we felt like it and just kept a tab for us to settle at the end - couldn't have been easier. The DM's were good and I though the boat crew was exceptional. Friendly, helpful, and did a good job of remembering individual preferences. I wouldn't hesitate to dive with them again.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom