flooded recsea...help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flareside is right those are the material specs
Main Body - Corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy, Anodized
Levers, Dials, Buttons - POM, PC
Monitor - Hard Coat Acrylic
Screws, Springs - Stainless Steel, Galvanized

In theory if the housing is not soaked properly and the anodization is poor as well as the galvanisation you could have a reaction
However this seems really a bit unlikely if proper care of the housing is taken

flareside is right those are the material specs
Main Body - Corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy, Anodized
Levers, Dials, Buttons - POM, PC
Monitor - Hard Coat Acrylic
Screws, Springs - Stainless Steel, Galvanized

im hoping i have loaded some pics of said housing and specks, so fingers crossed

In theory if the housing is not soaked properly and the anodization is poor as well as the galvanisation you could have a reaction

However this seems really a bit unlikely if proper care of the housing is taken

im hoping i have loaded some pics of said housing and specks, so fingers crossed

Attachments

• IMG_3499.jpg
    IMG_3499.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3500.jpg
    IMG_3500.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3501.jpg
    IMG_3501.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3503.jpg
    IMG_3503.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3504.jpg
    IMG_3504.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3505.jpg
    IMG_3505.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 54
The specks occur where there is no contact with the steel parts so this is not induced
Unless the housing has hit somewhere whilst open those look to me like either salt encrusted or corroded aluminium

Yup, that's corrosion. (Or more correctly, oxydation) And while it will generally be more visible where aluminum and stainless interface due to the buildup of white particulate, aluminum corrodes on its own in salt water. This is one of the reasons why it is used alongside zinc in the production of ship anodes as it is a good donor metal and helps prevent what it is electrically bonded to from corroding. In this case, the housing is electrically bonded to the various metals in the tray and arm system and the housing must be the easiest donor. I really don't know how much protection the anodized surface should be providing but clearly it is not enough.

Aside from problems it may be causing with the seal, overall this corrosion is not a problem for the aluminum as it has a lot of free electrons to give. The potential problem is with the stainless steel as the free electrons move into the molecular structure and make it brittle. Someday, you could bump it wrong and shatter the hinge pin or a latch.

At any rate, I would still suggest a conversation with RecSea about this. There is no reason for an expensive housing to be showing this kind of deterioration. If something as fine as a human hair can flood a camera, there is no reason to believe all those little bumps won't do it too.

god guys this is worring, looking at the specs with the eyes it doesnt look like corrosion but these photos certainly show it up as such. how is it caused? does salt water get into this area during normal use? as they have been there well before the flood incidents, im really worried now i paid a lot for this housing expecting it to be more robus not to deterate within a year!!!!

it could be encrusted salt as well though it seems a bit weird. Have you tried with a cloth damped with warm water or putting the oring on and leaving the housing to soak in warm water for say a couple of days? You can use demonised water if you fear for corrosion (the water the goes into irons)

Hi Mantababe, When you finish diving do you soak the housing in fresh water for an extended time. I'll usually fill a basin with warm water and let it soak for an hour or so and disassemble tray and arms to soak and then dry it out overnight before packing it in the camera bag. In any case, sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

Thanks for posting these photos.

If this is the cause of the leaking you experienced. it seems to no longer be a factor.

In a previous post, you mentioned that you clean the o rings often because of what appeared to be sand. Is this what you were referring to?

I also see specs on the insides of the housing. Is it the same thing inside as well? I was wondering also about the door where the o ring seals against. Does it have the same white specks?

Take a magnifier and see if the specs are pits or if they are raised. If pitted, this is corrosion, if raised it probably is just salt or mineral deposits which you may be able to remove with a vinegar solution.

when i come back from a trip or using the camera i soak it in water and have been known to leave it there for few days otherwise its in there for hours, never just a quick soak. i do dry it and then leave it dry unti next used.

the bits dont feel raised at all but its hard to tell as thre isnt much space to run finger around to feel it, but i shall get my other half to have a look today, when looking close it doesnt seem like salt or sand i had just persumed it was where the paint was coming off [being a girlie female i dont know much about metal and corrosion and never considered that woud be it esp as the housin isnt that old]

when the housing is closed with o-ring on can water get into that area, which is just by the o-ring? if so what actually stops the water leaking into housing?

layla that would be nice, dont think wraysbray is that far away from me im actually in folkestone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom