Florida Conchers - Check in Post Wilma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My sister e-mailed Bob and Barbara from Divers City USA, and it seems they made it through pretty much unscathed with no major damage.

We dove with them the weekend before Wilma... glad to hear they are OK.

Marvel lost a window and her front door. No power or water, limited cell phone service. She is well and cheerful.

No problems at my home. Power was down Monday, but came back Monday evening. Back to normal.

Back at our store... Still no power or water in downtown Ft. Lauderdale, except for the power at our shopping center (Riverfront). I have free wi-fi set up if anyone else reads this and wants to pass that info along to anyone who wants (needs) it.

One of the Marina 1 vertical boat storage buildings right next to Federal Highway - last stop in Broward county - was blasted apart and tipped over full of boats. It is a real traffic stopper. There's going to be some very happy boaters and some not-happy-at-all boaters when they see this.
A lot of the hangars at Boca airport were damaged and almost all of the small planes left on the tarmac were flipped over.

Thanks to my neighbors who have run us an extension cord I have some temporary power. No phones, no cellular. We lost the screen enclosure to our pool, all the big trees (I think I saved my precious gardenia), and some shingles but otherwise fine. The neighborhood is a mess! We do have massive power line damage and the beautiful trees that made this such a special neighborhood are all gone.

My boss was kind enough to drive over from Port Charlotte with gas and ice and we have all our camping gear set up on the patio.

Anyone heard from Jenny? Haven't been able to reach her, Marvel or Krista.

Here in Royal Palm Beach things are pretty good; lots of trees & powerlines down.
We only lost 2 shingles and our power came back on sometime overnight. Got real lucky!

Don & Pat

Anybody know if Miami Lakes has power yet. We high-tailed it to a hotel up north so I could get online and work. My wife needs to get back though. Thanks for any info!

Saw Cbulla, Kbulla, Xbulla, and Ibulla last night. They're doing well, except no electricity yet. I think Colin's chainsawed just about everything in his neighborhood by now :).

Talked to Sharkbaite yesterday, and he's doing well too.

Jenny and I are at her office which has power.
We had to buy a chainsaw and spent Mon. after the storm and tues. clearing the downed tree from her front yard. We don't have power but she does have a gas stove and waterheater so we have been able to cook and shower (thank god). Landline is out and might not get repaired until the end of Nov.
Lost a few shingles off the roof and wouldn't you know it the hurricane hit three days after I got HD Direct tv. ARRRGGGHHHHHHH.
Jenny won't be going to the Megadive because the cost of the chainsaw came out of her Megadive funds.
So that's the update. Our cells phones seem to work when they damn well feel like it....no ryme or reason.
Our thoughts go out to the rest of the Fl. residents that got hit.
We'll try to keep in touch when we can.
Take care.

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom