Florida Conchers - Check in Post Wilma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally came home to power today! Funny but I really didn't miss it much. A great coleman stove, lots of oil lamps and a bottle of tequila made life bearable. (I did cheat a little by running an extension from the fridge to the neighbor's generator!)

Can't say I even have anything to claim to FEMA. The insurance company will be over this weekend and maybe by this time next year I'll have a new pool deck and enclosure.

Glad to hear that everyone else is starting to come back online!

No satellite service back but then I don't really care and the hubby is out of town anyway. (He's the only one that watches.)

All is well on Fort Myers Beach. My place lost a little siding and a tree. I think most of the stuff that was weak was lost with Hurricane Charlie so damage was minimal. What was amazing was seeing Estero Bay and my canal empty of water as Wilma pulled it out to sea. A professor at FGCU came into the shop yesterday and told us the bay, which is a huge Estuary between Fort Myers Beach, Bonita Beach and Fort Myers was actually freshwater the day after the storm. It is crazy how powerful these storms are.

What else??? I went six days without power and didnt really miss it that much. Got to read three books, consume a reasonable amount of vitamin v and tonic, and do tons of thinking without a bunch of background noise. The only thing I HATED were the showers- five minutes of freezing hell.

Glad everyone else is okay.

I think we should make a point of heading down to the Lower Keys and speading some money (if possible) around to the dive boats, divemasters, captains, and restauraunts. I have three friends who lost everything including furniture, cars, etc... to flooding. I know they could use the business.

Donna lost power for a couple of days in Sebastian. On limb came down, not a very big one. Everything is ok at my other place.

We still don't have power or phone. Finally power came on at work Mon.eve. And we don't have any idea when the power at home will come on. AArrrgggggg!

Well SmokeAire... at least we can read your posts now...Broward county is supposed to be 100% by the 15th now... That's better than the 22nd, right.

I hope it comes back on soon for you guys... If you need a place to stay, let me know.

Just found this thread and checking in. No power as of this morning. But we are not doing as bad as others as we have the generator (THANKS SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and the gas waterheater and stove have been a blessing. Now that I am the proud owner of a chainsaw, am looking for more to prune...Willma got rid of one tree that I liked and the one out front that won't die is standing straight and tall...and very alive!!
Hermit Crab and I slept outside one night after the storm before power was restored nearby, and we saw the milky way and shooting stars! Great memories.
Am back at work, which is really cutting into the rum time, but hey, it was getting expensive anyhow! FPL is saying we will have power by Nov. 13. cool.
Now to find a tarp for the roof.. yesterdays rains made me a little nervous....

Jenny... I know there are like a few home depots in hollywood... There is also this link from Broward County's website on how to apply a FREE tarp.

http://www.broward.org/hurricane/blueroof.htm

Good Luck! I'm glad you guys at least have a generator, and now the gas lines are normal.

Jenny,

Aren't the stars beautiful when there aren't any lights to screw them up? One of the reasons I love to camp.

Just as I was falling asleep last night around 10:30, I felt a strange draft comming from above me and then I heard my name a few times from Joni. The second one made me jump for joy when I heard the ceiling fan was running..... I waited 10 minutes before I did my dance out in the streets after I disconnected my generator and flipped on the AC.......

Thank you FPL

Now I am ready to hit the keys this weekend and dive S.G. on Sat or sunday morning.

We got power back yesterday thankfully, I don't think I could handle much more porch living without the screen to keep the skeeters out. We lost our carport, large hurricane shutter on the screen porch as well as the screening. Also lost hurricane shutter over the dining room window. It came down on hood of hubby's car, ouch!! scratches but no major damage or broken windows. When the carport went it took the metal trellis as well as all the bougainvilla bushes and landed on top of my durango. lots of scratches and a baseball sized dent over the rear window, no broken windows or major damage here either. Hubby had to cut the car out of the mess, he was not real happy. Lots of downed trees and limbs, power lines. We live in a mobile home park in Deerfield Beach. Half the homes are trashed about 30 are totally destroyed.

As hubby said, it could have been alot worse, neither of us were hurt other than a few bumps and bruises and we still have a roof and four walls, thats alot more that lots of other folks have right now. He is so right; God! I hate it when he's right and I want to whine.lol

Glad to hear everyone is safe.

Zuzanne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom