Florida Keys in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My fiftieth birthday is in December, and my wife has suggested that I pick a place for a long weekend trip. Unfortunately my wife doesn't dive, but she does snorkel. I was thinking the Florida Keys would be a good place for me to spend a day diving, then she and I could spend a day snorkeling. We will fly out from Louisiana. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which of the many sites there would be most appropriate for diving and snorkeling?

I've been reading the the typical water temp in December around the keys is in the low 70's. I have a 3/2 wetsuit, a 5 mm hood and neoprene gloves. That should be warm enough, shouldn't it? I tried out that combo in our pool a couple of days ago. It seemed fine in our 70 degree water for 30 minutes.

Sounds good----where in La you located??.....

I did 4 dives (ave 40 minutes) in one day in the Ft Lauderdale area last year around this time in a 3mm full-suit (old, compressed, rental), no gloves or hood and was just fine. A little warm on the morning dives, a little cool on the first dive of the afternoon, but that was after lunch which may have had something to do with it.

In March I did several single shore dives at the BHB in my brand new at the time, 2pc 3mm John & LS-jacket and was toasty in water temps mainly around 71-73, but as low as 68 after the tide turned … My son, wearing a 3mm full-suit got chilled when the surge hit and the temps dropped, I was fine, but I had 6mm at my core…

I am planning on a week in Key Largo between Christmas and New Years and am bringing my 3m John & Jacket, as well as my 7mm semi-dry … My plan is to use the 3mm without a hood, but if I get chilled at all, I’ll use the 7mm going forward. I personally hate wearing a hood so for me traveling with the extra bulk of 2 suits is worth it if I can avoid having to don the hood!!

That said, YMMV….

..............Pillar Reef---26'---air temp 78*---Bottom temp 74*---viz Fair---2mm shorty--- ......................
Well, I'd have frozen. My Keys dives in late Dec and Jan all require a 5 mm suit. My wife usually gets by with a 3 mm suit. We've had a couple of dives in the 70-72 deg range that drove us out of the water after 45 min on dive #2. To each his/her own. My wife just added a 5 mm suit for next time and I just bought a full hood. Both should do the trick for each of us.

A lot of it depends on how well insulated you are.

When I was in DR a few weeks back (84F water) I was snug as a bug in my 2 mil shorty even for 3 dive days. My DM (accustomed to warm waters) was diving a 5 mil full suit and was a little chilly by the end of the 3rd dive.

For local diving (I've heard a rumour that the St Lawrence has gone over 70F at some point since the beginning of time) I chicken out and use a 7 mil full suit and am still toasty warm by the end of my 3rd dive. (In spring & fall I'll wear my drysuit)

If it was me doing the diving I'd probably want to wear a 5mil suit if I was diving more than once in the day but I'd probably forego the hood.

Last edited:
I'm planning a similar trip later in the year, Conch Republic gets high marks, Pennekamp also has shallow snorkel areas and if you've never been, that would fit your needs. I'm using www.vrbo.com to find a rental for a week since the hotels and resorts can be much higher than renting a house or from an owner in the same resort(s).

I think I'll be OK with my 3/2 and the hood. My wife only has a shortie, but we have a friend who is the same size as her with a long 3/2 and hood. Knowing my wife, she'll need gloves for the warmth, but I think she'll be fine. I still have some homework to do regarding the divespot. I appreciate all your responses.

I have the 5m hood which seems fine in the pool, but outside of the swimming pool, i've never used it. What is it about wearing a hood that you don't like?

2 reasons I prefer not to wear a hood:

1) without a hood, I can almost always equalize without ever having to pinch my nose as I descend and more importantly as I ascend my ears equalize themselves ... With a hood, I have to make a conscious effort to equalize & let water into the hood several times to avoid ear issues when I surface

2) without a hood, I feel like I am more perceptive to sensations of my motion thru & of the water around me. I also think I maintain better orientation with less conscious effort as a result ….

Scubasailor: No gloves allowed in Penekamp.( No permiso tocar nada. Entonces, no guantos.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom