Florida Keys - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For all the excellent responses and links to the various websites. They've definitely helped me get a feel for the area and make informed decisions based on how we would to experience the keys. The hard part is now waiting to get there:)

Finnatic once bubbled...
I did a little bit of online research on Key Largo and was wondering if anyone has stayed at a place called the Hungry Pelican and dove with A Silent World? Also I've heard some good things about Kelly's and Aquanuts and also AMoray. When is the best time to go as far as weather conditions, water temps, and crowds?
I stayed at Hungry Pelican for 4 nights around Labor day, and liked it enough that I stayed there 6 nights on my late Sept / early Oct trip.

Hungry Pelican / Sunset Beach Cove are 1960's style motels. Very quaint, laid back atmosphere. Several kayaks, paddle boats and an old Laser sailboat that you can play around with. Great bayside hammocks and tables. Rooms are old, but clean. Window unit air conditioners. Minimal continental breakfast that starts at 7:30 --- just in time to grab something before an 8AM boat. Great place if you want something different than yet another Holiday Inn.

Hungry Pelican is at the south end of Key Largo. What worked well for me last week is to stay there and drive north to Silent World, who goes out of marina around MM107 for 3 days, then drive south 3 days and dive with Conch Republic who goes out of Tavernier Creek. Silent World does northern sites such as Carysfort that aren't often done by the MM100 crowd, and will go south to around Molasses, and frequently does the Spiegel Grove. Conch Republic goes up north as far as Spiegel Grove, and also took us south to the Eagle. Being lazy, I liked seeing the wide range of reefs and wreck without having to change hotels until heading far south to Looe Key.

Silent World is an excellent operator. 12/14 passenger 30' Island Hopper boats --- my preferred size. They ran a couple days with only 3 passengers.

Conch Republic has new owner/operators as of July 4th. They seem to be trying really hard to give their customers a good experience. They have one 12 passenger and one 24 passenger (formerly Lady Cyana's) boat.

Both Kelly's/Aquanuts and Amy Slate's Amoray divers run large cattle boat operations. If you get seasick easily, then I recommend Amoray as they run a nice stable Corinthian cat/pontoon boat. Kelly's 42' Newtons run nicely in seas, but really rock and roll while on mooring.

As you are newly certified, I'd recommend that you also check out Paradise Charters of Key Largo. Unlike most other operators, they put a DM in the water with each group of 6. This is good for new divers as you get to concentrate on diving and fish watching and let the guide do the navigating. I very much enjoyed diving with them a couple days ago. Even with 11 divers onboard their 12 passenger boat, there was lots of room.

The other operator that several locals recommended was Dive Inn, at Mandalay marina. A small, very high speed cat.

HarleyDiver once bubbled...
Best Key : Key Largo
Best OP : http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/
Best time to go : Whenever you need to get wet. (always)
Dive safe

Two questions: Why have some operators (including the one you suggested) started pricing their dives to the SG and the Duane $10 more than a reef trip??? Six divers (average passenger load)means an extra $60 and there's no way they are using more than $5 in extra fuel!

Secondly, why do they price ALL their dives to include tanks and not give you credit (charge le$$) if you bring your own?

I know of three operators (and probably some I'm not aware of) that have started these pricing policies and they are no longer even a consideration when I'm planning a dive.

It's not a slam, I'm just trying to understand the logic.

Another question -
Which dive ops in the upper keys will let you spear fish while on a charter or allow spearfishing on their charters? That is, without booking the whole boat (as we would only have 3 divers who spear)...

..... as long as you go in the off season so the boats aren't full. They give very thorough dive briefings and they will take you to some very easy, safe reefs. They make it easy to dive. All you have to do in the morning is lug your gear the very short distance from the equipment cage to the dock.

I know that you're more than likely going to balk at this, but I was dragged to Key West on a vacation a few months ago, and I made the most out of it by finding a good dive operation.

I've dived with Captain's Corner (www.captainscorner.com) about 6 or 7 times now, and I continue to be impressed by them.

Key West is a complete tourist trap--but there was some fun diving right offshore, and CC did a great job.

just look into it...and when you get off the boat, you can go do the tourist crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom