Florida lobster- individuals that don't taste quite right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In places where the fishermen actually care about maintaining the fishery, they notch the tails of the females. That way, even if the lobster doesn't have eggs, everyone knows it's a female and they won't take it, nor will a buyer buy a notched lobster. It isn't done 100% of the time, but the majority of fishermen do so.

Of course, down here it isn't at all uncommon to have 3 or 4 busts a year where someone poached hundreds of undersize, berried, or out of season lobster. If 3 or 4 get caught, tens must be doing it.

Yes, I think the males taste better than females.

Hmmm... second time someone has mentioned that in a week.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2014 at 11:22 AM ----------

In places where the fishermen actually care about maintaining the fishery, they notch the tails of the females. That way, even if the lobster doesn't have eggs, everyone knows it's a female and they won't take it, nor will a buyer buy a notched lobster. It isn't done 100% of the time, but the majority of fishermen do so.

Of course, down here it isn't at all uncommon to have 3 or 4 busts a year where someone poached hundreds of undersize, berried, or out of season lobster. If 3 or 4 get caught, tens must be doing it.

Yes, I think the males taste better than females.

And nine times out of ten, it seems to be people from the Islands or South America. Maybe FWC needs to do a better outreach in those communities.

i prefer mine without the red membrane......so i core them and remove the red chewy parts.

In places where the fishermen actually care about maintaining the fishery, .

Boy you really like painting pictures with broad strokes don't you. We have size limits which is very effective at maintaining the fishery.
If people are going to poach they are going to take them with or without a notched tail - so that wouldn't matter

In places where the fishermen actually care about maintaining the fishery.

Boy you really like painting pictures with broad strokes don't you. We have size limits which is very effective at maintaining the fishery.
If people are going to poach they are going to take them with or without a notched tail - so that wouldn't matter

I don't know if there was a "painting tone" on Wookie's post, but I'm glad he wrote it, it may inspire others to do the same, even here in Florida were supposedly no one cares.

On a different note but same subject, it is legal to get both claws on a stone crab but I only take one from each individual, very long time ago when I learned to get these claws, an old fart told me having one claw gives the animal a fighting chance to survive and grow a claw again. If everyone did this maybe eventually the season would be open longer? who knows?

When I look a the Northeast commercial fishery and compare it to the Florida Commercial fishery and then compare that to the Caribbean commercial fishery, I see the following.

The New England fishery is made up of associations, who vigorously defend "their turf", but also police each other, as they know that the North American Lobster is a limited resource, and they have lived through hard times when the catch was down, the price was high, and fuel almost put them out of business. Someone sat down and thought about what it would make to make the fishery sustainable, so they outlawed recreational take on Scuba, they limited recreational take by trap to 5, and they made sure that the eggers were notched, so no one took them even when it was otherwise legal to do so. The Maine fishery is now landing more lobsters that at any time in the past, and the prices are high. Traps are not allowed to go "ghost", because you have to turn in over 90% of last years trap tags to get your trap tags for the next year. Entry is limited. You must be a stern man on a working boat for 3 years before you can apply to set your own traps.

Lets contrast that to the Florida commercial fishery. Traps are abandoned on the reef to continue fishing without regard to retrieval. Any idiot with a boat can get a 2000 trap license and set traps on the coral, in the backcountry, wherever you want, and the state protects your right to fish in a stupid manner. Many commercial trappers go out and build casitas (lets not get into a argument about whether casitas are right or wrong, lets just say that they are illegal) in the sanctuary and clutter up the bottom with old cinder blocks, car hoods, and a host of other crap that all moves around in a storm and impacts the coral. A lobster boat is limited as to haw many they can take, so they just go to another fish house to unload if they catch too many. The price is well up this year, not because of some strict conservation measure, or because lobsters are scarce, but because these knotheads finally figured out how to keep the lobsters alive on a boat, something we've been doing in New England since 1922. Those live lobsters aren't feeding Americans, BTW, they are headed straight to China. If I want to go out and do a reef cleanup, I can take the pot warp, and I can take the broken traps, but I am not allowed by Florida law to touch a fishing trap, even if it had 1000 dead lobsters in it. I can't even get a permit from FWC to do so. The Sanctuary Superintendant can't get a permit to do so in his own sanctuary. That's how much the FWC protects the fishery, by protecting ghost traps.

Lobsters in the Caribbean are typically taken by divers to satisfy the American restaurant chain market like Red Lobster. They are taken on scuba or hookah, which limits the take to the top 200 feet or so. Taking lobsters on scuba is horribly inefficient compared to trapping, so there are plenty of lobsters left to maintain the population. Say what you want about the Moskito indians, they aren't very good at wiping out lobster populations.

Size limits don't maintain the fishery. These lobsters caught in Florida don't come from Florida, they come from the Yucatan, Belize, Honduras. Very little lobster larve settles out here from lobsters that spawn here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom