Florida trys to ban internet scuba purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MBH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My brother who is a clerk for the Florida House of Representatives called me tonight and informed me that there is a bill moving through the House that seeks to ban Florida residents from buying scuba equipment over the internet.

He said the intent of the bill would serve two purposes. First- that any buyer would have to "prove" their certification level before being allowed to purchase any scuba gear, and second- it would generate sales tax revenue that is normally lost on internet purchases.

He said that the "reasoning" behind the bill is to try and cut down on the rash of diving accidents in Fl. (with the reasoning that many uncertified divers are freely buying scuba gear over the internet). The bad part is...the tax revenue that would be generated if this bill passes, is causing just about every House Rep. to to jump on the bandwagon.:(

You Florida folks better wake up!!!

MBH:
My brother who is a clerk for the Florida House of Representatives called me tonight and informed me that there is a bill moving through the House that seeks to ban Florida residents from buying scuba equipment over the internet.

He said the intent of the bill would serve two purposes. First- that any buyer would have to "prove" their certification level before being allowed to purchase any scuba gear, and second- it would generate sales tax revenue that is normally lost on internet purchases.

He said that the "reasoning" behind the bill is to try and cut down on the rash of diving accidents in Fl. (with the reasoning that many uncertified divers are freely buying scuba gear over the internet). The bad part is...the tax revenue that would be generated if this bill passes, is causing just about every House Rep. to to jump on the bandwagon.:(

You Florida folks better wake up!!!
I do believe there is a Federal law on the books that would make such a state law targeting internet sales fail in court. However, it'd cause a whole lot of heartburn until it did fail.
Rick
---
Morning edit: I'm an idiot... I failed to notice that the OP was after midnight!
Hook, line & sinker :D

that seeks to ban Florida residents from buying scuba equipment over the internet.

OMG. Those politicians need to get back to work.

Dear Florida politicians:
You are stupid.

...that is all.

hmmmm , when was the last time you showed a C card for a gear purchase? I don't think I ever have except for air fills .. and as this has been pointed out many times here, you can't get those on the internet

when politicians see money ... how are you gong to stop them

catherine96821:
OMG. Those politicians need to get back to work.

What's frightening is ....THEY ARE AT WORK!!!!!

MBH:
What's frightening is ....THEY ARE AT WORK!!!!!

no kidding.

I wish I could goof off all day on stupid stuff like that.

Just a reminder what date it is........ (1/4/07)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom