Flying after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SugarInWater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Here's my question...

I've got a 7:40am flight on a "puddle jumper". It's a 20 minute flight and I'm not sure about altitude but would expect it to be 3000 to 4000ft.

Later that day, at 1pm to be precise, I board "big boy airplane" to fly home.

Can I do two morning dives the day before this travel? Both dives would end before the 1pm, 24 hour cycle for the longer flight but obviously conflict with the first shorter flight.

Thanks in advance.

Here's my question...

I've got a 7:40am flight on a "puddle jumper". It's a 20 minute flight and I'm not sure about altitude but would expect it to be 3000 to 4000ft.

Later that day, at 1pm to be precise, I board "big boy airplane" to fly home.

Can I do two morning dives the day before this travel? Both dives would end before the 1pm, 24 hour cycle for the longer flight but obviously conflict with the first shorter flight.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the NOAA table I use. Commercial airlines are pressurized to about 8000 feet. (3rd column from right, there is a 10k column but it is easy to miss it as they don't line up right)

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/AscentToAltitudeTable.pdf

If you are doing deep repetitive diving for several days before hand and it were me I would sit out the second dive, but it is up to you, 24 hours should be enough to clear you for the major flight.

You need to know how high the puddle jumper is going as it is an early flight. Some pilots in diving resorts keep the flights at 2k and below as a rule, others by request and still others don't care and fly where they feel comfortable. Check with the airline they might have a FAQ or a customer service number to answer those questions.

DAN says 18 hours good, for non-tech dives and such.

Here is the NOAA table I use. Commercial airlines are pressurized to about 8000 feet. (3rd column from right, there is a 10k column but it is easy to miss it as they don't line up right)

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/AscentToAltitudeTable.pdf

Note that the letter groups have to come from the NOAA table, and not anyone else's. Also people sometimes miss the footnote in the Ascent To Altitude table. Don't forget to use the highest letter group reached in the 24 hours before the flight, and not the letter group at the time of the flight.

You need to know how high the puddle jumper is going as it is an early flight. Some pilots in diving resorts keep the flights at 2k and below as a rule, others by request and still others don't care and fly where they feel comfortable. Check with the airline they might have a FAQ or a customer service number to answer those questions.

This is worth emphasizing. I've been on 25 minute flights on propeller-driven puddle jumpers that have gotten up to the 15-20,000' level. Also, be aware that if it's an regular commercial inland flight in a busy area, the pilot might plan a low level flight but get directed by air traffic control to climb. Depends on the location, but it's something to be aware of.

The DAN guideline are intended to envelope dives to ndl limits. Dives that fall within the limits need less of a pre flight interval. Does your computer give a no fly time?

The DAN guideline are intended to envelope dives to ndl limits. Dives that fall within the limits need less of a pre flight interval. Does your computer give a no fly time?

Many computers have a fixed 24 hour time to fly, regardless of diving to 20' for 20 minutes or pushing right up to NDL. Great way to limit legal liability, but not helpful in trying to make an informed decision.

The NOAA tables are the best way to get data on this. Once you take the time to consider where you sit in the tables, then you can make an informed decision.

18 hours you should be fine, particularly for a pair of shallow dives. Most dive computers count down no-fly time, and if you stay conservative, most will clear in about 12-14 hours.

My 2 PSI. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom