Flying with a tank!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Korto

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody have any experience of flying privately on a pressurized aircraft with there own gear specifically with the tank. Do you put it in the cabin with you or is it ok in the baggage compartment unpressurized. The tank will have air in it. Thanks

Does anybody have any experience of flying privately on a pressurized aircraft with there own gear specifically with the tank. Do you put it in the cabin with you or is it ok in the baggage compartment unpressurized. The tank will have air in it. Thanks

You can not fly in the US with a pressurized SCUBA tank.

According to the TSA, you can fly with an empty SCUBA tank (valve removed), however many airlines have rules that prohibit it anyway. There is no federal law I'm aware of that prohibits an unpressurized tank in the cabin, however the TSA checkpoint agents are not rocket scientists and there's a good chance they won't let you board with it. They once stopped be from flying with a set of pots and pans because "they could be used as weapons"

I see you said "privately" If it's a charter, you can take whatever they'll let you take, but still can't fly with a pressurized SCUBA tank (unless the pilot really just doesn't care)

flots

I am not sure why you are inquiring about tanks...as it isn't in your post. The other thing to remember is that if you remove the valve to fly, some shops will not fill it until you have had a new VIP done. Also, most places you are going to dive, will have tanks available to rent, rather than taking your own tanks (and weights too).

You can not fly in the US with a pressurized SCUBA tank.

According to the TSA, you can fly with an empty SCUBA tank (valve removed), however many airlines have rules that prohibit it anyway. There is no federal law I'm aware of that prohibits an unpressurized tank in the cabin, however the TSA checkpoint agents are not rocket scientists and there's a good chance they won't let you board with it. They once stopped be from flying with a set of pots and pans because "they could be used as weapons"

I see you said "privately" If it's a charter, you can take whatever they'll let you take, but still can't fly with a pressurized SCUBA tank (unless the pilot really just doesn't care)

flots

What prohibits carrying a pressurized tank on a private flight? I fly with a pressurized oxygen tank on every flight... Perhaps I'm missing the FAR that covers it.

^ O2 bottles that are allowed on flights are designed for it.

^ O2 bottles that are allowed on flights are designed for it.

That's not a regulatory issue. There's nothing prohibiting the carriage of compressed air cylinders, that I am aware of. Do you have a reference for that opinion?

Transportation of compressed gas cylinders is regulated by the Interstate Commerce Committee. For transport by air they must be empty, and to prove they are empty, the valves must be removed. I will search my bookshelf to see if I have an exact reference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom