Drysuit and travelling - check-in or carry-on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Out of curiosity, when flying, do you guys check-in your drysuit in your luggage or do you use a carry-on?

I was thinking that in a hard shell luggage the drysuit won’t be worse than in a very packed over the head compartment.

The only thing I am worried about is the zip, in particular at the shoulder as pressing on the drysuit will put pressure: I put clothes inside to prevent it bending too much.

What’s your experience?

I just carefully fold it and put it in a regular check in luggage. Been doing this for years and never had any issue.

Checked or mailed the times I've traveled with mine.

The only dive gear items I carry on are my primary and backup lights and computer. I put the drysuit in a checked bag. I don't have a hard-sided bag; my main bag is a rolling duffel with a hard bottom but soft top. I put the BP/harness on the bottom, then some softer stuff, then the drysuit, and finally undergarments on top of that for protection. My regs, reel/spools and other miscelleneous dive gear go in a second checked bag, padded with clothes.

I was looking at ways to fold it, found that most people fold with the zip on the inside: I do the opposite and roll with both zips closed and on the outside. I thought this would prevent it from folding as the outside travels a longer distance.

In particular in this video, he folds across the zip which I find a bit strange (this is at 2:10). I guess in the end, it probably does not matter too much?

I check it in a separate, waterproof duffel bag from all my other dive gear.

I put the drysuit, spares, undergarments, etc. all in that bag. The benefit is that when I get to my destination, I can use that bag on the boat to hold my drysuit, etc. instead of the large rolling duffel I use for all my other dive gear.

Here is a picture before my trip to Vis, Croatia:

drysuit-bag.jpg

Note that this is NOT the most efficient from a maximizing weight per bag perspective (as you can see, it weighs just under 10kg or 21.4 lbs) but it helps me stay organized.

- brett

I carry-on my drysuit simply because it would be difficult to rent if lost/delayed. Normal roller bag. Regs, computers, batteries in the "personal" carry-on, because they are heavy and expensive.

I carry-on my drysuit simply because it would be difficult to rent if lost/delayed. Normal roller bag. Regs, computers, batteries in the "personal" carry-on, because they are heavy and expensive.

I had to choose which would be worse if luggage was lost the rebreather or the drysuit. I opted to carry on the rebreather. The other time I just to much stuff and shipped the drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom