Drysuit and travelling - check-in or carry-on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity, when flying, do you guys check-in your drysuit in your luggage or do you use a carry-on?

As with any other piece of gear, ask yourself two questions. Your answers to these questions will answer your question.

1. Will I get along okay without this piece of equipment if my luggage is lost or delayed?

2. If the equipment is essential, can I rent a replacement at my destination?

As with any other piece of gear, ask yourself two questions. Your answers to these questions will answer your question.

1. Will I get along okay without this piece of equipment if my luggage is lost or delayed?

2. If the equipment is essential, can I rent a replacement at my destination?

Yes, this approach works until you have (1) a rebreather (2) drysuit & undergarments (3) camera equipment (4) "regular" dive gear, etc. almost none of which you can rent at any destination.

When you do this type of diving, you need to either trust that they will get it there or arrive early enough for your trip that if there are delays you have a "buffer" and then put Apple AirTags or some other bit of tracking technology in your luggage and then just cross your fingers.

My days of taking my single tank reg, two computers, and a mask in my carry on (all that I really care about for most recreational diving) are long gone. I sometimes miss them....

- brett

Yes, this approach works until you have .... blah blah

Fly First Class.
You get two 70-pound checked bags for free and special baggage handling.
Plus more overhead carry-on space that you can use.
No more lost luggage.

Fly First Class.
You get two 70-pound checked bags for free and special baggage handling.
Plus more overhead carry-on space that you can use.
No more lost luggage.

I do.

I've got plenty of experience flying with (a lot of) scuba gear. At some point, when you do the diving and projects I do, you have to check gear and then I don't care if you are flying first class or coach, it can get lost and it is the type of gear that you cannot rent at any destination.

If you have found a way to do 200-330 foot (60m-100m) extended diving in cold water with full frame camera equipment and not check equipment, then please enlighten me.

- brett

Travel with Pelican cases + equipment insurance from DAN. Make sure that the equipment is packed tightly by using clothing, bubble wrap, etc.

Out of curiosity, when flying, do you guys check-in your drysuit in your luggage or do you use a carry-on? ...
I've flown twice with my drysuit gear: once to Grand Cayman (!!), and once to Seattle. Both times I packed my gear in my old Army surplus heavy canvas duffel bag, which I checked through. (Carried-on my mask, regs, and analog gauges, though.) No issues.

I don't have a drysuit cert, so it's likely that I wouldn't have been able to rent a drysuit if mine had been delayed or lost, or had arrived damaged.

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom