Focus Gear with 60mm macro lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But can't you do that with autofocus pointing the focal point to the exact point you want to be in focus?
Not usually and conpose the frame at the same time. Moving the focus spot on the screen is too time-consuming and clunky.

I have Zuiko 60mm macro and focusgear with Oly EM1II and EM5II. In my hands the focus gear is completely useless as there are much to many turns required to adjust the focus. I find it much to complicated to be useful...
A also use the Canon EF 100mm IS macro with Metabones 1x and 0.71x adapters on EM1II and here the manual focus works very well UW as focus can be adjusted easily via the focusgear - this shows it is just non-ergonomical construction of the Zuiko 60mm that makes the problem...

Wolfgang

You can lock the focus close to where you want and move the camera a little back and forth. This is much easier than fiddling with manual focus. But nothing will not help if OPs vision is not good. I also noticed my vision is getting worse (so are the sharpness of my photos) and just last week got my first optical dive mask. I recommend OP to fix that first. 60mm will focus well but much slower than 30mm, so I suppose 30mm is a better choice if you decide to rely on autofocus. Btw, I do not own 30mm, I just read it is faster.

A also use the Canon EF 100mm IS macro with Metabones 1x and 0.71x adapters

Does the OLY Auto Focus work well with the EF 100mm and the Metabones adapters?

Can you give the links to the exact Metabones adapters you are using? I can't find the exact ones that would work with OLY cameras.

Does the OLY Auto Focus work well with the EF 100mm and the Metabones adapters?

Can you give the links to the exact Metabones adapters you are using? I can't find the exact ones that would work with OLY cameras.

No, unfortunately AF is not working well - it is pumping with the Canon EF 100mm IS adapted to EM1II. When using C-AF&tracking, often the focus is lost. The 0.71x adapter (=71mm focal length) works better than the 1x Smart adapter (=100mm).
Here is an example for Canon 100mm with 0.71x adapter (EM1II; f 8.0; 1/250; 2x Inon Z330). In this example I was using C-AF&tracking of a central, small, focus point in the middel. First the eye was in the center and then, while pressing thumb focus lever, I shifted the frame (needs to be done several times until sucessful; with the native Zuiko 60mm the hit rate is better, but unfortunately, also not 100%):
example.jpg

The adapters are:

In addition you need a Nauticam housing and this N85/N120 adapter:

=> I cannot recommend to go for the Canon 100mm macro/MFT combination, when you plan to use AF. It works, however, very nice when you want manual fous (much better in manual focus than the Zuiko 60mm).
=> The real strength of Canon EF lenses adapted with Metabones to MFT are the Canon 8-15mm fisheye (1x adapter) and the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye (0.71x adapter). These represent great WA solutions...

Wolfgang

No, unfortunately AF is not working well - it is pumping with the Canon EF 100mm IS adapted to EM1II. When using C-AF&tracking, often the focus is lost. The 0.71x adapter (=71mm focal length) works better than the 1x Smart adapter (=100mm).
Here is an example for Canon 100mm with 0.71x adapter (EM1II; f 8.0; 1/250; 2x Inon Z330). In this example I was using C-AF&tracking of a central, small, focus point in the middel. First the eye was in the center and then, while pressing thumb focus lever, I shifted the frame (needs to be done several times until sucessful; with the native Zuiko 60mm the hit rate is better, but unfortunately, also not 100%):
View attachment 707261

The adapters are:

In addition you need a Nauticam housing and this N85/N120 adapter:

=> I cannot recommend to go for the Canon 100mm macro/MFT combination, when you plan to use AF. It works, however, very nice when you want manual fous (much better in manual focus than the Zuiko 60mm).
=> The real strength of Canon EF lenses adapted with Metabones to MFT are the Canon 8-15mm fisheye (1x adapter) and the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye (0.71x adapter). These represent great WA solutions...

Wolfgang

Thank you!!!

I think that I'll stick with the M4/3 lenses :)

The new OM camera is out btw, it looks great but I wish more Pixels.

Interesting discussion as I haven't done manual focusing for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom