Folding compact snorkles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the Oceanic foldup snorkel and tried it a couple of times. The problem is when I do use a snorkel it's when swimming on my back in heavy seas when I'm using lots of air, and the foldup tube was just not wide enough to provide enough air.

So, mostly if the seas are calm or diving off a boat I skip the snorkel. For shore diving with a long swim and some waves I take a non folding large bore Aqualung.

I've switched from standard snorkel to compact role up snorkel. I was little hesitant at first but now will never go back. I only use the conventional snorkel now for snorkeling, and have two fold ups one for me and one for my daughter.

I currently use an XS scuba roll up snorkel. It has two holes at the top that fit end of the snorkel keeper. Simply roll the snorkel starting at the mouthpiece and if the snorkel keeper positioned properly then the end should hook up on the snorkel keeper. Then simply put in your BC pocket where it would be easily accessable.

It doesnt actually breath as well as a conventional snorkel but breathes well enough. The biggest trick is putting it on the mask after a dive. Sometime I slide it up under the strap of my mask. It can be a little awkward positioning. I find it easier to swim on my back or swim face up doing kelp crawl than snorkel through the kelp. The standard snorkel is just one more thing to catch the kelp which is why I like to put it in my pocket. And to be honest, the only reason I do that is because local ordinance requires one to be on you while diving. Doesn't require me to have it on my mask.:wink:

I have this too. But my version is a "quick on/off". From your description of "It has two holes at the top that fit end of the snorkel keeper", I think yours is the same as mine. But I'm not sure about that, sinced I would describe it as one hole with a narrow side and a wide side. Is that yours? The keeper stays on the mask permanently. When I want the snorkel, it goes on really easily. Mares also makes a similar model.

I carry a roll-up snorkel in my pocket when I'm DMing.

I have a thousand dives now, in various conditions -- rough and smooth -- and in various parts of the world. I have never had a situation to date where I would have deployed a snorkel, if I had had one.

I have this too. But my version is a "quick on/off". From your description of "It has two holes at the top that fit end of the snorkel keeper", I think yours is the same as mine. But I'm not sure about that, sinced I would describe it as one hole with a narrow side and a wide side. Is that yours? The keeper stays on the mask permanently. When I want the snorkel, it goes on really easily. Mares also makes a similar model.
I'm not sure if it's the exact same, but very similar in principle.

You can check out the link:XS Scuba Cargo Stowable Snorkel SN650BS with reviews at scuba.com

If it doesn't open it's the XS Scuba cargo snorkel.

The first time I went diving without a snorkel I was a little apprehensive since I was leaving a piece of equipment behind PADI states was essential gear. I felt sooo much more comfortable without this thing on my mask I've never put one back on, so I keep this just in case. Occasionally I will practice taking it out of my pocket, it's a little bit more cumbersome with gloves. It doesn't have a keeper that stays on the mask. I tried putting on the keeper once, not real easy, so now I just slide it up the inside of the mask strap.

I did my AOW dive with my PADI instructor and stated I don't dive with the snorkel anymore. He said that was OK with him, he wasn't going to tell PADI. Did get my cert nonetheless.

I carry a roll-up snorkel in my pocket when I'm DMing.

I have a thousand dives now, in various conditions -- rough and smooth -- and in various parts of the world. I have never had a situation to date where I would have deployed a snorkel, if I had had one.

You dive in a drysuit in the PNW so you can inflate your suit like a Michelin man to raise yourself in the water in heavy swells. And in tropical waters the standard wing has plenty of reserve buoyancy to do the same.

I have the Deep Sea Nautilus in the BC pocket just in case the SHTF - plan on getting one for the wife.

In heavy seas or on my back if I have gas in the tank the reg is in. Snorkel in pocket. I have the Oceanic but have since switched to Edge Stealth. The clip is better. My Oceanic came with this velcro like button deal that is pretty much worthless. I did find one from an old body glove snorkeling set from Sam's club that I replaced it with. Works much better.

I'm not sure if it's the exact same, but very similar in principle.

You can check out the link:XS Scuba Cargo Stowable Snorkel SN650BS with reviews at scuba.com

If it doesn't open it's the XS Scuba cargo snorkel.

The first time I went diving without a snorkel I was a little apprehensive since I was leaving a piece of equipment behind PADI states was essential gear. I felt sooo much more comfortable without this thing on my mask I've never put one back on, so I keep this just in case. Occasionally I will practice taking it out of my pocket, it's a little bit more cumbersome with gloves. It doesn't have a keeper that stays on the mask. I tried putting on the keeper once, not real easy, so now I just slide it up the inside of the mask strap.

I did my AOW dive with my PADI instructor and stated I don't dive with the snorkel anymore. He said that was OK with him, he wasn't going to tell PADI. Did get my cert nonetheless.

Hi freewillie, sorry for the delay, I was out of town. We have the same model. I've attached 3 pictures to show how the easy on/off works. It really is quick and simple. Looks like you're happy with your set up as it is, so that's fine too!

In all my pictures below the mask is face down and the top is generally facing the top of the picture or top-left. The mask clip is always kept on the mask strap. The snorkel keeper approaches the mask clip "parallel" to the mask (picture 1), goes into the wider opening and slides down into the smaller opening (you'll hear a click) (picture2), then you swivel the snorkel so that it is now "perpendicular" to the mask which is the normal position (picture 3). To remove, reverse the steps. It takes 2-3 seconds which is much faster than I could ever do it the old way and this way I never accidentally loosen my mask strap while attaching the snorkel.

XS Scuba snorkel 1.jpgXS Scuba snorkel 2.jpgXS Scuba snorkel 3.jpg

PS: Looks like XS Scuba should include instructions with the product. You didn't know about this and I didn't know it could roll up and self clip...

Attachments

• XS Scuba snorkel 1.jpg
    XS Scuba snorkel 1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 61
  • XS Scuba snorkel 2.jpg
    XS Scuba snorkel 2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 55
  • XS Scuba snorkel 3.jpg
    XS Scuba snorkel 3.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 61
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back