for all you backward people not using ft and Fahrenheit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-punk:
...has a nicely bodged mix. Gasoline is sold in litres, but milk is sold in gallons.
Ahhh...but the real question is wether or not they sell beer in bottles?

firedogut:
here is a great program that will convert just about anything to anything.

its around 150K and does not need to be installed.

for you out there who freak out about downloading from boards here i sthe link to the site that made the program

http://joshmadison.com/software/convert/

Uhm..... We aren't the ones who need this program...... ;-)

R..
P.S. Thanks for the tip.

Big-t-2538:
Ahhh...but the real question is wether or not they sell beer in bottles?

LOL

In Singapore I was at a place where you can buy a metre of beer..... I think it was a little over 2 litres or about 3/4 of an American gallon.....probably 1/2 of an English gallon.....

my head is spinning....... LOL

R..

Mr Mares:
What about the Canadians, Centregrade for temp and feet for depth (See other tread)...

Well, yes, until I got my dive computer... if you want metric it's all metric... I'm more comfortable with thinking in feet so I'm learning uh, ferenheit. (oh please, someone correct my spelling.)

Try being a land surveyor. It's not just feet and meters, but then you have to use the US Survey foot (not used in all states, arghh... and its only different after the 5th decimal place). I like meters better especially for construction purposes, but the contractors hate 'em.

1m = 3.28083990ft International
1m = 3.28083333ft US

And don't even get me started about having to convert fractional feet and inches to feet and 100's of a foot.

Mr Mares:
<snip>

What about the Canadians, Centregrade for temp and feet for depth (See other tread), <snip>

And don't forget metres for distance (whereas the rest of the world has meters the Canadians have metres (spelling)...... go figure).

When I moved to Holland I hated the metric dive measurements at first. 40 metres just didn't sound deep and (perhaps) needless to say it took me a while to really get a "feeling" for how deep things are while diving deeper than I felt I was and trying to convert metres into feet while royally narced..... LOL.

Now that I'm used to it, however, I'll never go back. The metric system was *made* for diving..... I do miss the 120 rule though but my computer makes an adequate replacement.

R..

A long time ago, a fellow from England tried to explain how the English monetary system used to work, something like:

farthing = 1/4 old penny
thrupenny bit = 3 old pence
shilling = 12 old pence
florin = 2 shillings
pound (note) = 20 shillings
1/2 crown = 2 shillings and 6 old pence
guinea = 1 pound and 1 shilling

Other values included the half penny, sixpence, ten shillings and the five pound note. Britain switched to the decimal system in 1971 when one shilling was made equal to five new pence. But, he said, they were resisting metric at the time because it was just too darn complicated?

The only other non-metric countries are Myanmar and Liberia.

One of my favorite measurements is still the acre. Anyone know that one?

Actually Australia uses "metre" as well... (and "litres" instead of "liters")... I think "meter" and "liter" are just the imperial way to spell metric words :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom