For you electronics gurus,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there is thread in this section which also contains a complete schematic (you may want to compare the two diagrams).

I made a few IC boards in college, and if you went into a good electronics store with the diagram(s), they could probably set you up with everything you need (you may need to go internet for a component or two).

That being said, this guy works at CERN, which is basically the Sandia (sp?) National labs of Europe... I think they are in the process of building the largest super-collider in the world. Anyway, it is the European organization for nuclear research... explore the atom and its componets. He's got a few more resources at his fingertips than the average home shop...

I think I'm going to order mine from the mail order shop listed in one of these threads for $100 (shipped)... I know the day after I buy it Radio Shack will start selling its equivalent for $12.95.

I read up a little about DIY Suunto PC interfaces. Personally, I think its worth the $100 (mail order) for the factory dongle. The form factor for the interface is pretty small. So if you're trying to keep the same form factor, it would be some tight soldering. Etching the PCB would be cumbersome as well. If you don't mind the "desktop" model, the soldering and PCB don't look too bad.

As someone else suggested, there are a few links for DIY Viper / Cobra interfaces. Do a comparison of the schematics. I think one person actually lists a part number for the actual plastic molding which houses the contacts to the dive computer.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

A more updated version of the intf can be found at:

http://www.sprentice.fsnet.co.uk/vyper.htm

Picked up the components and it cost me about 10USD,
so yes, I think it's definetely worth it, considering
they charge about 125USD for the interface.
The electronics are easy, only a few components so
you don't need a PCB. The software can be downloaded
for free.
The real problem will be finding a connector, or better,
trying to make one that fits.
I will let you know once mine is finished.

J.

Back
Top Bottom