$$ for your DM course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worked for free on a dive charter in exchange for the instruction.

I paid $375.00 and it included the PADI Divemaster manual.

Many instructors (at least around me) will charge you nothing up front, but once you're certified let you "work it off" assisting in a certain number of classes over a given period of time. If you don't work enough during that time, you can either re-negotiate that time or pay it off in cash.

[BTW, I'm just referring to the instructor fee here--ordinarily $500, you still have to buy all other materials (like the DM book, DM slates, and the Instructor's Manual--if you want it).]

I used to have DMs work off my fees by helping out with classes and trips.. however, if you get into that sort of arrnagement, agree up front exactly... did I say EXACTLY... how many, when and where.

I don't let DM's work it off. Too many just want the card for braging rights and never spend much time working classes. I've been burnt giving new divemasters huge discounts on gear as compensation for working classes that they never showed up to work. It's amazing how busy they get once they have what they want.

In fact, I don't market DM classes at all now (for the last couple years actually). It's too much work and I can't charge enough. If a DM isn't going to work with my classes I just don't have a reason to go through the trouble. In other words, I only teach it to supply myself with divemasters.

how necessary is it to buy the encyclopedia?
our course which is starting up soon is costing over $800 CDN materials alone... and I don't think I can afford this...

ScubaJo once bubbled...
how necessary is it to buy the encyclopedia?
our course which is starting up soon is costing over $800 CDN materials alone... and I don't think I can afford this...
I think the encyclopedia is probably necessary to be able to pass the tests. The price is about $35 (USD) for either the printed or CD-ROM version.

I spoke with our instructor on the phone yesterday and this is what he told me:

- encyclopedia, workbook, manual, slates:
$780.69 + 7% tax - Canadian
(this is after i said no to the video, that would have been $835.45)

- me peeing my pants:
priceless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom