$$ for your DM course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJo once bubbled...
I spoke with our instructor on the phone yesterday and this is what he told me:

- encyclopedia, workbook, manual, slates:
$780.69 + 7% tax - Canadian
(this is after i said no to the video, that would have been $835.45)

- me peeing my pants:
priceless.

I think that this is a little excessive. I didn't pay near this amount.
I have however committed to my LDS that I will DM for them once I have completed my course.

ScubaJo once bubbled...
does this sounds right to you guys?
It sounds incredibly high to me unless that figure also included the instructor fees.

My DM cost nothing. Deal with my instructor was help out on certs and courses for a whole summer (it ook me 2 since I wasn,t available enough). I also got my gear at a reduced price. I had to pay my fees for my DM card and those associated with my diving activities ( i did get free air).

I,,m doing my instructor now and my deal is course costs me nothing but I have to give classes for my instructor for free and work on certifications for free to pay.

Best advice agree beforehand on cost or method of repayment.

ScubaJo once bubbled...

- me peeing my pants:
priceless.

Holy Cow!!! I'd say that is really expensive.

My course including the manual was $375.00, then $60 for the encyclopedia, $50 for the RDP wheel and $30 for slates & misc items. For a grand total of $515.00, which is more than $250 less than what you'd be paying.

The course ran once a week starting in November through April for classes then our open water and pool work etc etc. Just have 1 more dive to complete my map and its done.

I'd be checking around to see if might be able to get it cheaper some place else.

Yo!

Back when I took my IANTD tecknical diver Dive Master program, I beleave it was going for about $600 but I never paid that. This program will require much more skill and years of experience to acomplish than your standard scuby doo dive master program offered by PADI.

D M I:)

DM course through REC. organization $350 - $450 with manual. Then add the reference guide $50 -$75. Then processing fee $60. Thats average. Tech -$500 plus Instructor in tech $1000 - $1200 per level. Also decide on the instructor/shop/club that trains the type of courses you want to play with. Some shops train more O/W while others train more AOW up. Well rounded course experience is still the best.
deepdiver5by5

$350 USD (including dm crew pack stuff). I've had the encyclopedia for a while, but I didn't open it once during the course. As far as that workbook goes, I don't even know what it looks like.

My instructor has begun 'recommending' that his DM students also get the GUE Fundamentals book - not a bad idea. As a DM, you're going to run into all kinds of different divers and equipment, so it's a good thing to learn about everything that you can. As an example of being clueless... Wifey and I were recently diving in the Presscott/Brockville area and we were doing a shore dive in the river. We ran into a couple that were both scuba instructors. They took one look at our gear (backplates, single wings and long hoses) and asked us if we were cave divers. We replied, "No, this is just the way we dive. It's comfortable and both of us have the same setup." They just looked at us completely dumfounded like we had cocaine under our noses... Still not sure why we got that reaction from them... I guess that I just expect that someone in an instructor's position would have at least a rudimentary understanding of different gear configs and such. Lord knows what they teach their students. They actually had a bumper sticker that said "Nitrox divers do it deeper" or some nonsense like that. Nice responsible example folks. Sorry for hijacking. It just kinda happened. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

And let's not forget PADI's dollars. $58 USD for the first year's membership - I think that it's $75 USD every year after that if you are doing the DM thing to help with classes and supervise divers. Then there's the insurance...

-Frank =-)

The DIR-F book is probably a great idea, having read it myself I think I will start reccomending that to my DM students, not that I dive DIR, (Most GUE divers would cringe at the site of my gear setup, although there is nothing wrong with DIR). But, it is extremely important that when you become a divemaster that you are familiar with all kinds of gear setups. I also highly reccomend that any of my DM students take a Nitrox course, even if only for the knowledge not to extend their bottom times. Plus, don't just help with courses, volunteer on a charter boat for a summer.

As for price, I think I last charged around $450CAD for a DM course but from an Instructors point of view you cannot charge enough. The amount of time that goes into one DM (if it is done correctly) is immense. Alot more than $450 worth.

I require my students they have the DM crewpack, Encyclopedia, and most of all an open mind. As for your $700 odd dollars he is probably selling you the Instructor manual and all materials reccomended by PADI. This stuff is important for and IDC but if you are not planning on becoming an instructor right away I would skip it as it will be out dated before you have a DM C-card.

Remember that as a DM or diver for that matter the most important thing is you should never stop learning.

D M I once bubbled...
Yo!

Back when I took my IANTD tecknical diver Dive Master program, I beleave it was going for about $600 but I never paid that. This program will require much more skill and years of experience to acomplish than your standard scuby doo dive master program offered by PADI.

D M I:)

Whether you have taken: PADI, TDIC, NAUI, IANTD, DIR, GUE, SSI training etc etc etc......Can we please refrain from bashing one another and the different agencies! It only does a dis-service to our sport!

ScubaJo once bubbled...

- me peeing my pants:
priceless.
Thanks for the reponses guys. Jo and I are from the same shop....hence the question. I think I hear a big riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip...

*Shrug* time to go looking around

I like the combination of fee and work it off idea. Experience is always good.

Back
Top Bottom