Former Diver Want Compressor For Sailboat in Retirement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Helping a new SB member get started here, since he hasn't learned the Matrix yet - been there, I know - and asked me for assistance...

I first read of his plans on his Introduction, where I cautioned him on his idea, which I'd do for a 25 year old, but this fellow is over 50. Actually, he reminds me of me a bit, altho not as much of a maverick. Just some. Anyway, we agreed that I'd post our exchange here to help get him started. His part of the PM is in quotes...

Review discussion on his Intro Here

BTW, my initial comments were designed to be alarmist, to hopefully get your attention as well as anyone else considering the ideas...
boz1950:
Ain't you pretty while sleeping? If you were a fellow firefighter, that "pose" may have resulted in a little Tabasco sauce!! It is nice to talk to a fellow Texan. I have kinfolk in Tahoka, Ropesville and Grassland. Yep- cotton farmers. Best people I have ever met.
Long story there, but I'm lucky they didn't, as most of the boat was pissed at me by then.
To give you a short background on me, I was born in s. tx close to corpus christi. Alice to be exact. Not to boor you, but licensed in 70. Made a lot of dives then, but last real dive was in Key West 8 yrs ago. Best trip of my life! was with Bro and his kids. Reg died at 60' and smooth as silk we went to the surface. But I don't want that, but it happens -even with new stuff-and some people freak under pressure!
I hope I'd not freak, and I don't trust buddies - great if they're where they're supposed to be. With the exception of one screwup, I trust my pony bottle. I've never done an emergency ascent, hope I never had to - altho I just may try one this weekend. Practice dives to 84 ft, lots of First Responders on the scene.:D
Here is the gist of it all. He has been building this 50 ft boat for what seems to be 10 yrs from metal hull up. And I don't know much about sailing. He wants me to take a course before we go-which I have no prob with. Hell- he may die and then I have to figure out how to get home!! ugh--bad thought. But- safety is always first-no matter where we are.
I agree, need at least two qualified pilots on the boat, minimum one on the boat at all times.
While I want to think he has paid attention to all safety concerns- I am not leaving that all up to him because of my training. Meaning I think we need real o2 onboard. While his sweetie is a nurse and I have a lot of medical background, the equipment for us at work was always available( firetrucks and ambulance). So I am contemplating a lot of what I can afford. O2 setup, defib, and so on. If we can afford it, there is not a such think as too safety offshore!
O2 for sure, Defib if you can. BTW, diving deaths do go up at lot after 50 - I'm nearly 60. I take aspirin every morning since my DVT (now there's a dive trip story) and two every morning of diving.
All this crap aside, I want new gear also. At min regulator and my backpak sprung a leak blah blah. Been told it is as cheap to buy a new backpak as it is for a new bladder. I do not buy that, but--
Backpack? We use BCDs or Wings with bladders. Second most likely to kill you if it fails, get good one.
Now here are all my concerns. !st, he is 60 and I am 56. While both of us are licensed divers-as well as other kin that will be with us, I have some real concerns because I have realized I am NOT invincible like I once stupidly thought I was. And believe me, I have really done some DUMB things that prob shouldn't have been attempted by anyone. Well, I have gotten away with so much, I am not gonna push the limit anymore.
Sounds like me, except you are a former diver in need of retraining. Too much has changed.
So all this is getting to compressor stuff. While we had a nice cascade system at work, we left the tech stuff to the contractor. Wish I would have pd more attention then, but never dreamed at that time about having one. I imagine there is a safety thread on the board, but I have just gotten started on all this. So if you you have any "extra" advice, let me know. I have spent hrs now, but----
I don't know compressors, but ppl here do, and - you can still get help from your old resources, I bet.
Sorry to be so long. Just wanted to let you know where I am in all of this. Since you offered, I took you up on it. tjb in san marcos tx
Great place for practice dives. Aquarena Lake has a volunteer dive program, great buoyancy training!
ps- any preferences in regulators and backpacks?? Tanks?? Al vs steel? Masks too for that matter. Too old to not get the best since getting older is one step closer to the grave. And I have no kids to leave all that firefighter pension to!! I just want to be safe and have fun. THANKS
Oh lots of good info in the equipment forums, but on the mask - get two, prescription bifocals. I take both on every dive - one on my face, one in my pocket.

Man ... that's a lot of stuff to go through so I will only answer the title.

A small portable runs $3090 for electric or gasoline. Electric is safest, but will require a 7-8KW gen set at a minimum to operate. Small portables are easy to move around in that they weigh in at about 87 pounds. Filling tanks is a simple procedure but can be a bit messy if the compressor isn't outfitted with drain collection hoses. Every ten to fifteen minutes (once or twice per tank), you need to drain condensate from the separators and, without drain hoses and a collection bottle, that will make a slippery dangerous mess on the deck. While that may sound pretty basic and common sense, most small compressors are not so outfitted (one of my pet peeves). Next, these things require periodic maintenance that, if you forget it or put it off too long, will toast the machine or put out bad air.

OK ... that's pretty basic. Hope that helps

Actually I have a friend (in the DFW area) selling a 3.5 CFM Bauer (he upgraded to a Rix). You can PM him on this board if you're interested: fixxervi6

If you're friend is in the DFW area, he is very lucky. One of the real gurus of compressors is local.. Porter at August Industries (http://www.augustindustries.com/). The guy is incredibly helpful and is willing to spend a lot of time with hobbyists.

I also have a Bauer Junior II compressor with 2 whips....gasoline.....less than a year old... has a warranty... bought straight from Bauer... fills 2...80's in about 25 minutes.....PM if your interested. Its in MA.

I am about 6 years behind this guy (in retirement plans, I'm 40 yo) and have started to look at this issue. There are numerous issues to consider. If the boat is aux. diesel power, does he really want to have separate gasoline to carry as well. does the boat have aux. engine ... most likely, but there are some like Lin and Larry Pardey with a bit boat and no engine. does he have a 2 or 4 stroke outboard on the dinghy...probably want to stay with 4 stroke all around if poss to avoid the whole oil mixing mess and poss of mixing up fuels my accident. can the compressor drain be plumbed in permanently...either through hull or into bilge...will the compressor be permanently mounted (engine room) or portable (deck use)...either one has fresh air consiferations and cooling issues too esp. if tropical cruise. is there enough elec power to run the gen at anchor and or at the dock....or is he like me shooting for a solar and wind power boat that rarely needs to run the motor. for a sail purist, and esp. for those around you in the anchorage....running the motor all the time is baaaaaad. plus it greatly ups the cost of operation and maintenance

thanks for you guys . The gen is run from main diesel engine. He(bro) wants elec or diesel. No gas on boat is the rule for now. Deisel really runs up the price, esp on bauer. Some have suggested that permanent mount in engine room isn't that smart because of heat-mainly. Then of course is venting prob's but think that bcan be overcome. But the heat -may be bigger of the 2 prob's. All experienced thoughts are welcome- and needed. When draining the filters-whether a/d or manual, I am sure there will be a lot of water. How much oil gets in the drainage?? Enough to keep it in a can and take it back to port, or is it only minute amt of oil. Pretty eco minded, so what do yall think?? Suppose we could always have a tank for the drainage, then drain the moisture and put the oil in a seperate can. I have decided that I have been "out of the water" for so long, I think I better go get recertified for o/water. And I know absolutly zilch on mixing nitrox? or whatever else, so if is is smart and practicle to mix, guess I need a class on that also. My equipment could probably be sold as antique soon, so this little fun retirement thing is adding up $ fast!! But-- I have gotten away with too many dangerous things in my life, (and that is not even counting the 30 yrs at fire dept) and do not want to be dead from ignorance-or carelessness. I have a lot of homework to do. Back to the gear. Any help on that issue also?? I see some stuff on sale at 400$ for setup (no bottles) up to in the thousands! Heck of it is, since retireing, my *** has grown so doubt my 5 yr old wetsuit will fit either!! JEEZ! Starting to feel like a 10 yr old boy with a 4 lb tough steak in front of me and have to eat it all in 10 min's!!

Boz, you're getting some good posts here, but you may get a some hopefully posting on the safety issues of you old coots/newbie divers diving from a sailing vessel. Can you post to the kind of dives you think you'll do, and the limits you would impose on your dives, pilot always on board, etc...?

I do have a customer that is installing a small compressor on to the diesel engine and gen set on his boat. It has an electric clutch that selects either the generator or the compressor. He has also hooked up an ingenious blowdown that can be actuated from the fill station out on deck or by a timer and will collect in a bottle. Ventilation is provided by a fan inside the engine compartment that is directed directly at the compressor. This same configuration sells for about $10,000 in the yachting magazines and, so far, he has less than $4000 invested. The picture is of it out in the garage before he has it mounted in the boat.

side.jpg

now that is pretty nice. Wonder if he would share his plans??

He is finishing up the project and then will be writing it up for some yachting magazine. He has done several DIY projects for the boating magazines and always quotes his sources and approximate costs.

As of right now, he still wants to remain anonymous since he has lots of other projects that he is working and really doesn't like to be bothered by tons of questions ... especially since he isn't done yet. He has given me permission to post the picture though.

But I thought it was cool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom