Former Diver Want Compressor For Sailboat in Retirement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor:
Some thoughts on the boat design etc.

Put in a permenant ladder on the transom down to water level. The stories of everyone jumping off the boat and then finding the ladder was not down so no way to get back onboard still give me a chill down my neck.

To dive safely from a sail boat you need at least 2 people on deck not 1 at all times. The location of the helm means that the person stearing cannot see the water anywhere near the front of the boat so it is really easy to run over a diver.

A better solution is to dive from a rubber duck and just use the sailboat as a base however that does leave the nondiver sitting in a small inflatable while everyone else is having fun diving.

Air supply for the compressor. If the compressor is going to be permenantly located in the engine compartment how can you insure that the input air is not contaminated by exhaust or other fumes. Remember that there is vibration, a damp salt atmosphere, rust etc. Its going to be hard on any trunking you install.
Where are you going to run the whip's to, this needs carefull thought as the tanks are heavy and you don't want them rolling around while they are being filled.

I would not bother with nitrox, I think this would be far to much trouble on a sailboat.
that is good advice. What you mean by a "duck"- no idea what you mean. I can only assume it means a dingy. thanks for your time! Not sure I have gotten down to replying to messages. But I am trying.

boz1950:
that is good advice. What you mean by a "duck"- no idea what you mean. I can only assume it means a dingy. thanks for your time! Not sure I have gotten down to replying to messages. But I am trying.

Duck is what the limeies call there rubber inflatables.... ummmm rafts.... yup. :wink:

so you been a limey all your life? Or an import?

ever heard of the "battle of Bosworth Hill" something to that effect??

ps- got this PM today and wanted some input on it. It is a new type- I guess-of the coltri. Read about them a while back. Any comments on them from anyone??

Went to Beneath the Sea today. It's a dive show in NYC area. Guy was showing off his small compressors. Sounded like it was what you are looking for. A few different sizes and stainless steel options. Hope this helps.
http://www.aerotecnicacoltri.it/CATA...SORI/index.htm

boz1950:
ps- got this PM today and wanted some input on it. It is a new type- I guess-of the coltri. Read about them a while back. Any comments on them from anyone??

Went to Beneath the Sea today. It's a dive show in NYC area. Guy was showing off his small compressors. Sounded like it was what you are looking for. A few different sizes and stainless steel options. Hope this helps.
http://www.aerotecnicacoltri.it/CATA...SORI/index.htm

That was David at BTS. He is the manager of ColtriAmericas ... the supplier of all us Coltri distributors. He is a high energy dude that really knows his compressors!!:wink:

Coltri isn't new. They have been making compressors since the 60s and are marketed under about 20 different names including Holugt and MaxAir. Unfortunately, nobody knows the name and that has finally gotten the Coltri family to bring the name out in front of people by setting up ColtriAmericas in October of 2006.

So far, that has had two effects. One is that it immediately dropped the price on the small portables by about 10-12%. The other is that it also dropped the delivery time for the full line of compressors drastically. Previously, the distributors would take an order for a compressor, then order it from Italy and finally get it to the customer in about six to eight weeks ... all the time sitting on the customer's money. Now, there is a multi million dollar inventory in their two warehouses. As a distributor, I am required to maintain an inventory as well to make sure that the customer gets prompt service. I LIKE THAT RULE!!

Now, as far as the on board compressor goes ... the clutch releases the drive for the compressor with a flip of the switch so there is no draw on the engine when not pumping. In the system above, the guy plumbed the filtration system away from the compressor by adding in some additional stainless steel tubing to mount the filters on a bulkhead. That adds additional cooling which dries the air more. For his air intake, he has flexible tygon tubing that takes an air suction from the outside of the boat well forward of the engine exhaust. He actually plumbed the air to the deck of the boat where he has a fill station set up. From there he has an electrical panel that controls the clutch ... basically an on off switch. He rigged up automatic blowdowns as well. I can't wait until he gets it completed and written up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom