Fourth Shark Attack in Sharm El Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry if i came off rude in my reply....

I am as concerned for all aspects also, as are others...
The people attacked.
The tourism industry that will be affected in Sharm
and the Sharks....

Perhaps some might prefer 'Encroached on heavily inhabited areas.' The 'animals were here first' argument could be put forth, but for practical purposes, it doesn't matter. When a given animal is seen as a serious threat to human life, efforts will be made to eradicate that animal, and the collateral damage will be extensive.

As for this:

I expect that Sharm will not re-open for water activities until the shark is caught and killed.
Unless you're lucky enough to find one with a human bone in its gut, how would you ever know you had the right one? Kill 20 in the area and assume you got it? Or 50? How does this work?

Richard.

Please read the post....
There is only 4...
The one they refer to in the article is number 4.....

"There has been a fifth shark attack at the tourist resort of Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt".

"News broke yesterday over major media sites that four tourists, three Russian and one Ukranian were attacked by a 7ft-8ft Oceanic White Tip shark while snorkelling".

The German woman would make five per this info.
http://www.thescubasite.com/Latest-Scuba-Diving-News/shark-attack-in-sharm-el-sheikh-egypt

http://www.thescubasite.com/Latest-Scuba-Diving-News/fatal-shark-attack-in-sharm-el-sheikh

Please show me what you are referring to. Thnx

HI deeper thoughts

Crowley started this new thread after the unfortunate events there today.
He is "onsite", so I would think his posts are the most "reliable"...
:drunks:

after reading other boards/report, 5 could well be correct....
Sorry deeper thoughts

HI deeper thoughts

Crowley started this new thread after the unfortunate events there today.
He is "onsite", so I would think his posts are the most "reliable"...
:drunks:

Ok, I am posting what was printed.

Crowley- As you have advised that the sea water is unusually warm for the time of the year. Do you think that this could be a factor that has kept large pelagics in the area.

after reading other boards/report, 5 could well be correct....
Sorry deeper thoughts

Wish I was wrong, no apologies needed.

Was a 70yr old german snorkeller outside the Hyatt. Nobody has any idea what type of shark it was. Sharks are still being killed by the misguided locals.

The real odd decision was the CDWS/MoT to reopen beaches yesterday after 2 sharks were caught despite it being shown that neither caught matched the photos and patterns of the one confirmed in earlier attacks.

Its very very odd behavior. Its not a breeding season and this time of year normally they sharks have gone south as well. Something is stressing the environment there causing this extremely odd behaviour.

More tragically at this rate there'll be few if any sharks remaining in the northern red sea with this unofficial bounty and cull.

And its 4 not 5 attacks. One of the reported attacks was found to be injuries resulting from touching/rubbing against sharp coral. Nothing to do with sharks.

Unless you're lucky enough to find one with a human bone in its gut, how would you ever know you had the right one?
There are photos and video of the first attacks. They can pattern compare.

Back
Top Bottom