Fox 40 Whistles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antothoro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Recently, I realized that I was missing a small but important piece in my kit. A whistle. Big fan of the Fox 40 (Classic). Looking at their newer whistles and many of them come with a rubberized cushion for your teeth which I'm looking at going "you're going to get messy in salt water". Thoughts on that?

Storm whistles on all our rigs. They are on the inflators (old school rigging). I don't however like the bulk of them, but very loud (even used them under water to signal)....

Also have them with other "kits". They are on my boat keys, my hunting gear, my backpacking gear, my skiing gear, my first aid kit....

Reactions: Zef
Yeah, the Storm Whistles look big for only putting out ~100 decibels. The Fox 40s are smaller and put out ~120 decibels.

Any experience with actually using them over water? I found this interesting

I don't normally use a whistle, and have carried a fox40 classic on my rig for a long time, not that long ago I tried it for fun. And realized that it is quite useless for in the water, hard to get water out to make it work properly... now that I think about it, I think I might have one of those weird storm whistles, kicking around in my miscellaneous dive gear special that I bought for some other item and got the whole works....
time to go digging.

Been looking to add some additional safety items to my kit for an upcoming Indo trip.
I was looking at the Hyper Whistles at 142 decibels. Looks a little bulky but should fit fine in my pocket.

Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 10.44.52 AM.png

I'm also a fan of the Fox 40, (classic style). I have used them for many years with my hunting dogs and they work good even on windy days. For SCUBA I attach mine to the bottom of my DSMB, out of the way but rite where I need it should a problem arise. At $3.75 you can get every color of the rainbow.

I have had a Fox 40 attached to my inflator hose since the 1980s. Cheap, solid peace of mind, that is not subject to rust. I believe it is the Gold standard that all other whistles are measured against.

I used to use Fox 40 and went to the wind storm. It’s the smaller of the storm whistles. I find it louder, more piercing & easier to use wet. It’s in my left pocket with my strobe & nautilus marine rescue GPS.

Back
Top Bottom