Fox Island East Wall and Tacoma Narrows - Info Request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PrincessOfPower

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!

I'm a diver from Vancouver BC. Actually, scratch that, I'm a shore diver from Vancouver BC...

For a few years now I have been interest in diving Tacoma Narrows and Fox Island East wall. I've read the site descriptions in a few guide books, as well as shore diving.com, and I am well aware that both sites are challenging.

Anyways, I'm looking at doing them both in the next few weeks/months, and I'm looking for any pearls of wisdom and/or sage advice. Specifically, tips on how to manage the drift on the sites (sometimes locals know a trick like "diving this many minutes before slack..."), potential entry and exit points, and, well, also what local dive shop to hit up for info. I fully understand that doing either site with a live boat would make it a whole heck of a lot easier, but I am looking into the possibility of shore diving it, so any advice short of "hire a boat" will be much appreciated :)

And for the record, at this point I do feel I have the skill level required to do these dives (based on what I've read). However, I'm quite happy to hear (and head) warnings as only a fool shore dives irresponsibly.

Well, my notes from diving FIEW indicate it's best to splash about 1 hour before slack current at Narrows North, preferably on a small (<2 knot) exchange. Also best to dive this site before the kelp grows up in the summer (makes it hard to see the octo dens). The only entry/exit is a trail running down from the parking lot, on the right side of the restrooms. It's a fairly strenuous hike back up.

Not sure what you mean by Tacoma Narrows. There are a number of sites along the Narrows.

The main challenge with diving the Narrows sites is timing the dives properly, and the best way to accomplish that is dive with someone who knows. Of course if you get in and the current seems too strong, just get back out. You can always hit it some other time. I shore dive the Narrows area quite a bit. If you need a dive buddy when you're here, I'm usually available.

I'm confused about the diving at the Narrows. The only dives I've done through the Narrows are via boat. The Narrows can be a wildly exciting and exhilarating ride...a description that does not usually accompany a "shore-dive".

Titlow Beach is south of the Narrows and is a great shore dive, though highly current dependent. And North of the Narrows is Sunrise...a hike of a shore dive, but dived from shore nonetheless.

TASea...where do you enter to dive the Narrows from shore?? Are you talking actually under the bridge??

Cindy, I was thinking of the Narrows as being the waterway between Pt Defiance and Fox Island, which includes shore dive sites at Fox Island East Wall, Day Island, Titlow, and Sunrise. If by Narrows you mean under the bridge, you're right that's only a boat dive. At least I'm not aware of any shore access there. I don't know what the OP meant by wanting to dive "Tacoma Narrows".

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. I might try and make it down to do Fox Island East Wall May 12th or the 26th. The current is a touch slower on the 26th. I love meeting new divers so if you'd like to join in for a splash, send me a note. Any recomendations on a second shore dive in the area?

As for the narrows...

- In the book 101 dives, Betty talks about shore diving the bridge.

- As does shore diving.com (http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/Washington/Tacoma_Narrows/index.htm).

Is the site discussed on shorediving.com one of the sites you guys mentioned? Or is it the one that everyone says to do as a boat dive? I've found no other references to doing it as a shore dive, so it could be that the info is a tad out of date or perhaps even misleading.

At any rate, do you guys know of a shop in the area? Or for that matter, any local legend DM (or whatever)'s who might know how to do it as a shore dive?

Thanks again!

Federal Way Underwater Sports/ Puget Sound Depth Chargers are doing a dive to Fox Island WEST wall on Saturday... if you can make it, it's a chance to check out one spot and be able to take a shoreside look at the other sites.
gomi_

PrincessOfPower:
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. I might try and make it down to do Fox Island East Wall May 12th or the 26th. The current is a touch slower on the 26th. I love meeting new divers so if you'd like to join in for a splash, send me a note. Any recomendations on a second shore dive in the area?

As for the narrows...

- In the book 101 dives, Betty talks about shore diving the bridge.

- As does shore diving.com (http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/Washington/Tacoma_Narrows/index.htm).

Is the site discussed on shorediving.com one of the sites you guys mentioned? Or is it the one that everyone says to do as a boat dive? I've found no other references to doing it as a shore dive, so it could be that the info is a tad out of date or perhaps even misleading.

At any rate, do you guys know of a shop in the area? Or for that matter, any local legend DM (or whatever)'s who might know how to do it as a shore dive?

Thanks again!

I hadn't seen that shorediving.com writeup on the Narrows bridge. Looks like a fairly long swim out to the bridge supports...really need to time it perfectly. Seems kinda risky to me. Underwater Sports in Tacoma has a number of DM's with lots of local experience. See what they say about it.

For a second dive I'd suggest either Day Island or Sunrise. Personally, I'd suggest either of them as a first dive too. East Wall is nice, but not in the same league as those sites, in my (and most local divers) opinion. At least, if you like seeing GPO's and wolfies.

Anyway, I'd be glad to dive any of those sites with you (except the bridge!). Just shoot me a PM when you decide to come down.

The trail from the park no longer exists. The park was moved to a new location because of construction of the new bridge.
WALKING on the old trail was dangerous, I could not imagine carring scuba gear up it, or down it for that matter. I did see it happen once as I happily rollled off a boat to hunt lingcod.I figured they were doing some kinda of navy seal training or something. There is a new park that was built across the water on the west side of the narrows south of the bridge that can be dove. I have never dove there and never heard of any significant structure in that area.
If you are determined to go and can find a way to the water treatment plant (through the construction (south of the bridge-east side))there is a reef between the plant and the bridge.Could save you some train track walking time.
Another possible access point is the trail system near the TOA boat launch. I have dove right out in front of the dock and it was a pretty cool dive.We had access to the private boat launch, without access you are looking at a killer of a walk.
There is another suiside trail on the west side, north of the bridge called cottismore(sp) beach/ trail or something like that.I haven't dove there but it is not to far from Point Evans and I always thought there should be something around.
My suggestion is go on a dive charter or some other boat. The dive is well worth it when you hit the good spots, a bunch of gravel when you don't.
Day Is. is a much better shore dive but timing is very important on all but the smallest exchanges.Use the south narrows mid stream CURRENT to get the best predictions.Titlow is just down the road for a second dive with a tavern accross the street for after dive beers.

Ah, thanks for the info! Sounds like a shore dive is no way no how an option, such is life. Suppose I'll just have to slap down the ol plastic card and get out on a charter (aside, the charters in Washington seem to be inexpensive compared to what I normaly pay - call me jealous!)

I have some buddies on board for FIEW on May 26th. We'll do a second dive at one of the sites suggested in this thread, provided the currents are cooperative of course. Thanks again for all the info - you guys rock!

If your diving and plan to return to your car before 4pm you can park inside the sewer treatment plant gate. Just walk in and ask them if its ok. We used to dive the narrows all the time this way. Saves big on boat fees.

Back
Top Bottom