Freakin Mask Flooding Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess that there is a LOT more to those dry suits than I ever realized.

Can Travis explain how switching to a drysuit is going to help anyone deal with the shock of cold water on their face during a mask removal? Do the new dry suits cover your face? Is that DIR?

Simply Amazed.

Sorry for not addressing the actual subject of this thread, but I just couldn't resist.

As for the actual topic; practice practice practice. Do it until you can do it with your "eyes closed" and one hand tied behind your back. I had one instructor show us that it was best to tilt your head back, and press gently on the nose bridge section of the mask, then exhale gently.

My biggest problem is that my instinct reflex is that I tend to inhale through whatever I just exhaled out of. That is a very bad habit, and it might be what is causing you to ingest water. Practice calmly exhaling then pause before inhaling to make sure you use the right "orifice". Just a thought.

Wristshot.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be arrogant. I'm disturbed, however, by the idea of AOW, nitrox, and potential rebreather divers who have trouble with mask flooding. Is it just me, or should that be impossible?

-Klaus

drop it... bash it out in a different thread. Do not make this a dir thread. Stay on point.

Yeah, I aggree with Klaus. 2 years diving, a couple courses since OW, now SCR diving and having trouble clearing a flooded mask ???

Sounds kinda sketchy to me.

Are you referring to clearing a FFM ?

If so using FFM with mouthpiece (Cressi-Sub): Pull reg downwards so that it sit's on top of upper lip (solodyver - this would be a good time to not try to breathe, don't want you drinking anymore seawater) and purge while breaking mask seal against your chin

AGA just purge while making sure regulator is the lowest point. (Water exits through reg)

Regular mask - sometime after flooding and clearing a mask it won't get the good seal it had when you put it on on the surface (sounds weird but I've had a mask with this prob) go get a diff mask if that's the case.

Solodyver, when solo diving who clears your mask for you ? ??

Hehe, c'mon you had to expect some bugging to come out of your post !

Later

klausbh once bubbled...
Please don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be arrogant. I'm disturbed, however, by the idea of AOW, nitrox, and potential rebreather divers who have trouble with mask flooding. Is it just me, or should that be impossible?

-Klaus

Ok ,
Asked a question,,now here comes the smart asses . : ) Let me get something straight,,,,,,,,I can clear a mask,,,just hate to do it. By the way, I did it, And passed. Also , It was in the Puget sounds 48 degree water, Not in Floridas clear blue bath water ; )
Oh yeah,,,Who clears my mask when I solodive?????
Don't have to worry about it,,,,,,,,,No one there to KICk it off for me.
Thanks for the helpful answers people

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom