Free air for life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have to disagree with your assessement. Air fills are a lost leader for most dive shops.

Just the stainless, high pressure tubing to run the air from the compressor to the banks is about $3 a foot. At our shop, we have four banks with about 600 feet of high pressure tubing each. The compressor, the tubing, the high pressure hoses, the whips, the banks, the fill station -- represents about $75,000 -- before we even talk about the electricity bill of about $800 a month to run the 220 volt compressor or the "tank monkey" as you refferred to the retired United States Marine Master Chief that loves diving and fills tanks in our shop to supplement his meager retirement.

Ok...fine you win.
But its a "loss leader" not "lost leader"

BTW I use the term "tank monkey" lovingly...I am one.

Last edited:
LDS here was offering that deal on Al 80's. They and one other shop has closed here in the last twelve months.

Something else to think about.

Just a note on the price for a new Worthington HP100
Several years ago I purchased one for $285 at my LDS
... long time ago/never to be seen again price you say?

Just got another one a few months ago on sale at the same shop for ... $249 and a card good for 10 fills

Just thought I would throw out there that if you can get a deal on the tank, it might be worth foregoing the "free air for life" thing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom