Free divers investigate sunken trawler in 160ft of water for authorities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would have asked some actual scuba divers in the area first.

Impressive!

Wow, how serendipitous that these professional free divers were there to take a gander at the matador in 166 Feet.

Lance Lee Davis is a very well known lobster diver, tournament champion & record holder.
Ohh yaa,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,He scuba dives with tanks also.

It sounds like the HP just wanted to know if anything was going to come off the wreck and create a hazard. I am a little surprised they couldn't find police divers just chomping at the bit to get in the water for them. If they are raising it, the salvors are going to be doing a proper survey in preparation for lifting her. unless their is leaking fuel or gear that poses a danger, that may have been all that was need. The HP probably knew them as reliable locals.

It sounds like the HP just wanted to know if anything was going to come off the wreck and create a hazard. I am a little surprised they couldn't find police divers just chomping at the bit to get in the water for them. If they are raising it, the salvors are going to be doing a proper survey in preparation for lifting her. unless their is leaking fuel or gear that poses a danger, that may have been all that was need. The HP probably knew them as reliable locals.
Most public safety divers are prohibited from going past 100ft due to OSHA and insurance regulations. We are required to have a deco chamber on site, which is a pain if you don't have a vessel large enough to support it.

Most public safety divers are prohibited from going past 100ft due to OSHA and insurance regulations. We are required to have a deco chamber on site, which is a pain if you don't have a vessel large enough to support it.

That seems pretty restrictive. I’d think the industry would establish higher entrance standards. The above tells me I could have the fitness and disposition of Heimlich from “A Bug’s Life” and still make it as a salvage diver.

1678848903586.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom