Free NYC GUE Seminar & Demo Days 4/13 & 5/18/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's Cal's email with the details for Sunday:

Hello all,

Here are the details:

12-4pm - Meet @ Village Divers @ 125 east 4 Street (between 1st & 2nd Ave)

4-5pm - Break

5pm - We will meet @ St Barts Pool located @ 109 East 50 street between Lexington Ave and Park Ave across the street from the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Try and take public transportation to the pool as there is NO easy parking around there. You may be able to park your car near Village Divers and take a taxi with a few other divers participation in the Demo.

After the pool we would like to go back to the shop and debrief and show some video footage from the pool.

Plan to start @ 12pm and be done by 10 pm , it is a long day but should be very informative. Looking forward to seeing you there.

and here's the shop on Google Maps:

125 e 4th street, new york - Google Maps,
+ny&sll=40.72673,-73.993757&sspn=0.00787,0.0109&layer=c&ie=UTF8&ll=40.72573,
-73.98865&spn=0.007871,0.0109&z=17&cbll=40.725374,-73.987503

Henrik

and here's the map to the pool:

109 East 50 street, new york, ny - Google Maps

Looks like an easy trip on the "6" train from the shop to the pool. Of course, if we stack 3 divers in a cab, the fare shouldn't be that much more than the Subway :)

Henrik

Should I bring my pony?

Should I bring my pony?

It started at 12 noon, dude. I wanted to go but it wasn't over until 10 pm. I couldn't make a 10 hour commitment. It's still going on now, I'm sure, and it probably was great.

For anyone who missed this, all I can say is I'M SORRY!
This was absolutely a fantastic seminar. Easily worth $200 but was given away for free.

Props to Cal and Village Divers and to Ed from GUE. It was some of the best 10 hours I ever spent.

For anyone who missed this, all I can say is I'M SORRY!
This was absolutely a fantastic seminar. Easily worth $200 but was given away for free.

Props to Cal and Village Divers and to Ed from GUE. It was some of the best 10 hours I ever spent.

Sounds like you had a good time, and hopefully learned something. About how many people attended?

First of a *Huge* thank you to Cal at Village Divers for setting this up, opening up his shop for the class and for providing pool facilities in NYC (ain't easy to come by at any price :)). And of course *Huge* thanks to Ed, Gary, Gina and Carol who made the trek to Gotham to provide us with a thought provoking seminar and some outstanding pool training.

I know you've all been dying to ask, so let me get this out of the way first: No Cool-Aid was served and no small animals were sacrificed during the event :D :wink: (please note smilies and winkies and if there were an emoticon for "tongue firmly planted in cheek" it'd be there as well)

We met at the shop at noon where Ed went through and adjusted the harness on everyone's back plates. He then gave a seminar explaining how GUE came about, their goals and mission statement, and went into the GUE gear and training philosophy as well. All very interesting and thought provoking stuff. The buoyancy segment alone gave me a better insight into this crucial skill than my OW, AOW and Buoyancy Specialty together - not even in the same league.

After the seminar we went to the pool and spent a couple of hours practicing buoyancy via breath control, body position and propulsion techniques. Everything was taught in an easy to follow, step-by-step manner with a logical progression from individual elements of a skill to the final skill itself (well, we tried at least :)).

In the 2 hours (or so) in the pool we covered several buoyancy skills, flutter kicks, frog kicks, turns and back kicks. I'm not saying I "mastered" any of those, but felt I made huge progress compared to where I was before, and even managed to get some reverse propulsion on back kicks. Very cool stuff. Of course, this morning I realize back kicks require muscles I haven't used in years - at least it feels that way.

Oh, and I got to try paddle fins. I now realize what people mean about the "torque" and control of paddles.

After the pool we went back to the shop and reviewed the video that Gary shot during the pool session and we didn't look as good as we'd hoped, but also not as bad as we'd feared. The video is an excellent learning tool, once you get over the initial shock. :D

In conclusion; it was more than worth the 10 hours - heck I'd have paid for training like this. It was an eye-opener to see for myself what good training can be like, and what level of watermanship (is that a word) can be accomplished with the right training ... and hours and hours of practice.

Thanks again to everyone involved in making this happen. I have a strong feeling Fundies is in my future.

Henrik

Sounds awesome. I am going to clear my plate for the one in May, I hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom