Free offer for product review of Z Gear's Pole spear leash (limit 5)!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats, you just got the last pole spear leash, for our product review !!! Please PM me your mailing info (name and mailing address). We hope that everyone who will receive their pole spear leash can post a review!!! This concludes our free offer of 5 pole spear leashes for review.

Got mine today, tested it and tried it out. It stretches to about 5 feet and I put 30 pounds of pulling force on it to simulate a decent sized fish pulling it. At around 25 pounds the little clip piece that closes shut popped inside out but it still held on strong for the last 5 pounds only went to 30 because I do not wish to break it but I think it could hold up to higher amount of force before the rope snapped. Even after stretching out to 5 feet with 30 pounds of force for 2 minutes it went right back to its original shape with no sign of stretching. I tried it out on a few sheep's head and it worked great even helped to save my tips by preventing the spear from hitting the rocks and pilings hard. I think it is well worth the money if you buy one. It will not only from preventing you from potentially losing your spear but also can help reduce damage on your tips. Interesting and amazing product.

This is not something that I would recommend. Pole spears are not that expensive. Losing one is not such a terrible occurrence that a diver should compromise their safety to avoid it.

What happens when the diver shoots a decent fish with a flopper shaft, the fish wraps the line once around the diver's body and then a shark comes in and grabs the fish or a jewfish grabs the fish and takes off back into his hole? You have a 3-400 lb predator dragging the diver, possibly into a reef or wreck.... if the coil line gets wrapped around a few body parts or pieces of equipment, the 30-lb break away clip will be irrelevant.

Clipping lines off of a diver's harness is not something that should be done without a careful analysis of what can go wrong and what problem you are trying to solve. This device would fail on my personal risk/reward analysis.

This is not something that I would recommend. Pole spears are not that expensive. Losing one is not such a terrible occurrence that a diver should compromise their safety to avoid it.

What happens when the diver shoots a decent fish with a flopper shaft, the fish wraps the line once around the diver's body and then a shark comes in and grabs the fish or a jewfish grabs the fish and takes off back into his hole? You have a 3-400 lb predator dragging the diver, possibly into a reef or wreck.... if the coil line gets wrapped around a few body parts or pieces of equipment, the 30-lb break away clip will be irrelevant.

Clipping lines off of a diver's harness is not something that should be done without a careful analysis of what can go wrong and what problem you are trying to solve. This device would fail on my personal risk/reward analysis.
I first want to start off buy saying thanks to all those participating in the discussion of this topic. I respect everyones opinion and concerns. Of course I am very great full for those who like the product, this helps motivate and inspire me to create more interesting products. Now, in response to the concerns of dumpster diver, I believe that he has brought up a valid point. My intention was to promote a product that can be safely used, and it it is for that reason that I will make sure to address safety precautions on how to use the leash. This will be done by both video on web site and written on the packaging as well. You are correct in that by using a flogger tip versus a paralyzer tip you can potentially risk the type of situation you mentioned. I always use a paralyzer tip on my pole spear and I can not see this being an issue if it is used in this manner. In the murky waters of California it is very easy to loose your pole spear, while hunting thru the kelp. I also like the fact the I can let go of my pole spear near shore while I reach down and remove my fins and mask, while comming on to shore. Also there are some pole spear that are over 100 dollars and after losing one of those I don't think you will like that very much. This product is not for every pole spear user especially those using a flogger tip.I will do my part in making sure everyone is aware on how to safely use the product. Thank You for your inputs and participation.I would like to welcome other to chime in as well!!!

well I tried it a few days ago and really like the idea, I actually dropped the pole on accident on resurfacing and did not have to start doing the murky water search for 30 min. its strong enough to work but i believe it will give enough to let go if something bizzare would happen. will it relax after time in salt water? who knows but I dont think it will, seems like a great idea so far.

well I tried it a few days ago and really like the idea, I actually dropped the pole on accident on resurfacing and did not have to start doing the murky water search for 30 min. its strong enough to work but i believe it will give enough to let go if something bizzare would happen. will it relax after time in salt water? who knows but I dont think it will, seems like a great idea so far.
I would like to thank solo gato and speargunnoob for giving us your honest review! I am really glad you liked the leash and I would like to also offer one more free leash to anyone interested in also posting a review on the pole spear leash. I have been trying to private message 2 others,who asked for the free leash (bumcikaz and docjai) to get there mailing address info with no success . Perhaps they will get it to me later. Never the less I still would like one more to give us a product review if possible.

I will be testing mine tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

Going out again this saturday to test out the leash. Last time it was great as I do shore entries and it helped. I like to test something out more than once or twice to be able to evaluate it better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom