Freeport, Bahamas info request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetwrench

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need info from anyone on hotel/dive ops to contact. I want to make a few trips there to take advantage of my flight benifits. Also, is there shore diving or is it mostly boat? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Get started with a google search of Our Lucaya. What ever you do or where ever you go check out Billie's stand at the west end of the beach! Anybody will tell you where it is.

Mostly by boat...

Also, the one dive I liked was the "Pretender Wreck" Huge Groupers and 6 or 7 six or seven foot sharks... Very cool.

Tavi:
I'll second what Doc said!!

also, I've never heard of anyone shore diving, The reefs are out to far for that.

Next time be adventurous and see it like a native from Smith's Point. Wednesday night fish fry, and the reef they take you out to for snorkelling is 50 yards off shore.

From Our Lucaya the sand is fine as talk, gets into everything and the reef is .... a long way out. :wink:

We dove with Xanadu divers about 1+ year ago and had a good experience with them, especially with their shark feeding dive. It is well worth the $ to go on one with them. Their divemaster/feeder did an excellent job of keeping things under control and close enough to get some great photos. The only bad thing I could say about them was that the shop itself is in serious need of renovating, but then maybe they've done that since then, and who spends that much time in a shop before a dive anyway?

Our Lucaya is gorgeous. My group stayed at the place across the street....less than gorgeous. Anyway, we had lunch at Our Lucaya and took a look around....simply GORGEOUS!! In fact, we've since sent several of our leading salesmen there on awards trips and they've all raved about it too.

One warning tho.....the crime on the beach is an issue. Don't go beachwalking at night.

I posted this to one thread above but since it looks like you're headed for Freeport, I wanted to make surew you saw it. My wife an I made a trip to Freeport last August. My second time there and I'd go back in a heartbeat. I love the Bahamas and if you want big animal encounters, there's no place better. We dove with three different operators while we were there. Don't even think about Carribean Divers. I can sum it up in one word "scary". Also dived with UNEXSO for the dolphin dive. Definately do that dive. It's awesome but what I really wanted was a shark dive, after all we were in the Bahamas. I asked about it at UNEXSO but they've quit doing them because of an "incident" last summer. Ended up with a weekly shark dive done by Xanadu. It was truely awesome. One of my most memorable dives. My wife loved it as well. To some it up:

Don't go near Carribean Divers
Yes, to Unexso but mostly for the Dolphin dive and the pluthura of t-shirts at the shop
Yes, to Xanadu for the diving. Say Hi to Woody!

As far as accomodations, we stayed at the Westin at Our Lucaya and if your budget allows, go for it. You will not be dissapointed. We met some people while we were there who were staying at the Pelican and it didn't compare to the Westin. Hope this post helps.

Stay in Port Lucaya, there is a lot more to do there. Our Lucaya is nice if you want a big resort, the other hotels right there are all convenient. I would have to recomend Xanadu, but I'm a bit biased, as I worked there 3 years ago. I never got tired of the shark dive, make sure you see it.

Back
Top Bottom