freezing at any temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puxesaco

Registered
Reaction score
Any recommendations for the absolute warmest wet suit available?

Thanx in advance!

So far I've seen people very satisfied with the titanium 6.5 or7mm wet suits. Make sure they have cuffs inside to help minimize water infiltration. I have tried one, I live in Canada used it in November, water 42 deg. in for 1.5 hrs during outside unheated pool. Recommended. I used and Ocean Run suit.

Zman

Check out http://diverlink.com/gear/aboutwetsuits.htm#ABOUT WETSUITS One of the many interesting facts you'll discover is:

"Adding titanium threads, a titanium laced layer, or titanium flakes to the adhesive in a wetsuit cannot make up for the inherent deficiencies of the material it is applied to. In fact, it has no value whatsoever in retaining body heat. The wetsuit makers that use it make reference to such things as it reflecting body heat, but their theory does not hold water (or heat). Being immersed in water blows the theories about reflection out of the water. It just doesn't work Titanium is a marketing gimmick that has no practical value in thermal retention."

Folks, this website has an excellent working relationship with Diverlink and Diverlink has a great deal of information on this and many other topics. The atricle I referenced explains grades of neoprene and explains what the facts about wetsuits really are.

HTH,

WWW™

What kind of diving are you asking for? Where? Do you even get cold in a pool? Need a few more details to give you good advice.
Generally:
- dry suits warmer than wet suits
- thick suits warmer, but you start loosing some mobility
- layering good e.g. farmer jane + jacket
As for the titanium (or any other 'metal' lining), it is reported to keep you warmer. But I've also read it's a bit of hype.
I believe a good fit is the key. If off the shelf doesn't fit you like a glove (for wet suits), order custom worth it's worth every penny.

Yes, I get cold in water temps of 80++ with a 3mm plus a hood :-(

So, I want the warmest possible wetsuit so that I will never be cold again! Plus, I want to be able to dive in water less than 78 degrees and not feel hypothermic.

So, I guess that means you won't dive with me in a shortie in water that's 72-78F? Not to worry I have friends (female and male) that are always cold, and when they see how I dive, they say they feel colder.

You'll have to cover up from head to toe for sure. Have you considered a dry suit? You can get them in various weights, styles. Then you can vary the "undies" to the real warmth you need. From a simple swimsuit and t-shirt, progressing all the way to woolie bears.

As several people have already stated, you may want to consider a dry suit. It really is the best way to stay warm in the water.

For example, we recently returned from a week's diving in the Red Sea. The water temp was about 70F and we found wearing a drysuit with a sweatshirt & leggings (or in the case of Pearce, a long sleeved t-shirt) to be perfect even when we hit the odd therocline and the temp dropped several degrees.

There are a number of different types of drysuits at various price ranges, so I'm sure you'll find one that fits your needs.

BTW, an added bonus of using the drysuit is that when everyone else is wet & cold when getting out of their wetsuits, you're nice and dry & warm. :)

Just my $.02's worth,

~SubMariner~

You could try putting a shortie over your wetsuit. That will help by layering and keeping the warmth in your trunk. Do you have a custom wetsuit? It could be that the suit does not fit well, and that can certainly cause you to be cold. :cold: You might also try using a hood, as a lot of heat is lost through your head.

But, my real recommendation is to dive dry! I :1st: (love) my drysuit. Just got back from Costa Rica Pacific side, and wished I had my drysuit on a few of the dives. A drysuit allows you to vary the amount of underwear you use to meet the conditions. Here we use really thick quilted undies, but when I go to Washington or California, I just use plain long johns because the waters are so much warmer.

Good luck!!

ages

Find yourself a really well fitting wetsuit with a slick lining like the Henderson Gold Core or any of the numerous clones out there. I personally don't subscribe to the whole titanium retaining warmth, but I DO know that a suit which fits well (not baggy anywhere) together with having a slick lining (to form a seal against your skin) will all but eliminate water exchange and keep you warmer. I was the only student to shiver during our pool sessions, and was always the coldest after the dives, but once I got a suit meeting the criteria above (I settled on an aquaflite 7mm) I was able to dive at depth (around 60 fsw) and stay down about 30 minutes before I started getting cold. The water was 38 degrees! I can't stress enough how much of a difference the new suit made. I'm not ready for a drysuit right now, and I know that I'm likely to get cold on especially deep dives, but for the dives I usually do, (less than 60 fsw and usually warmer than 45 deg F) a nice 7mil does the job for me. My old suit was an older 7mil Farmer John, but it didn't fit quite as well, and the fuzzy lining let in way too much water. The new suit also has an attached 7mil hood.

Back
Top Bottom