French Polynesia in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pigletfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are planning to visit French Polynesia for 10 days in early October. Right now all we have are the tickets into PPT. The trip is only 8 weeks away, so we really need to make firm plans, but we're having a hard time deciding...

We're leaning toward this itinerary: 4 nights (3 dive days) on Moorea, 2 nights on Rurutu (with 3 humpback whale snorkel trips), and then 4 nights on Bora Bora (3 dive days).

Instead of Bora Bora, we could do Rangiroa, which we know is generally considered to be the 'diving mecca' of FP. But it seems that in October the two things that would be most compelling to us on Rangiroa - the mantas and the hammerheads - are not around. So if we want to see mantas (which we do!), Bora Bora seems to be a better bet in October.

Other than hammerheads - which aren't around in October - I haven't read about anything we'd see in Rangiroa (other types of sharks, rays, etc) that we wouldn't see on Bora Bora and Moorea. And, honestly, I'm not keen on the fast current - I'm not the strongest swimmer, and I like to take photos (and my husband takes video), which is difficult to do when you're zipping along.

Does anyone have information that would convince us that Rangiroa is simply not to be missed, even if the hammerheads and mantas are not around?

- OR-

Does anyone have information that would reassure us that we'll have a great diving experience even if we 'only' go to Moorea and Bora Bora?

Many thanks!!

I would pass on Moorea. I have a trip report posted in Jan 07 about Fakarava and Rangiroa. Rangiroa is great, lots of Sharks, plenty of rays, saw a couple of Mantas and the drift dive thru the Tiputa pass is not to be missed. I saw only one of the Giant Hammerheads and that was from a distance. I would only plan 3 to 4 days diving in Rangiroa as there are only a couple of dive sites and can get a bit redundant but again not to be missed.

Thanks for the input, travelnsj. Unfortunately, the way the flights work, we can connect only to Moorea the evening we arrive. if we go to any other island, we have to stay over in Papeete and miss one day of diving. :(

Unlike Scott, I enjoyed my dives in Moorea... however, he's right that more time on Bora Bora and Rangiroa would probably be more rewarding. The sharks are a gas, but watch out for those triggerfish if its nesting season!

Funny, I have to disagree with Travelnsj. I've been to French Polynesia twice. First time was a cruise around the Society Islands and the second was a week long dive trip to Moorea. Moorea was the best place I dove during the cruise. I didn't go to Rangiroa. Bora Bora is OK but it's a let down if you don't see the manta rays. The lagoon, which is where you dive, is frequently murky. That's why the mantas are there, of course. I think Bora Bora is overhyped and overpriced. But realize that's only relative. Bora Bora is a lovely place. I always wanted to go to Rangiroa but it's been to rich for my blood.

I highly recommend the Hotel Kaveka on Moorea. Hotel Kaveka Moorea. Family run and reasonably priced. It's not fancy like the Sofitel or Intercontinental but they've got everything you need. You can snorkel on a beautiful reef right off their beach. The locals said the restaurant is one of the best on the island. It's right next door to the TopDive shop.

Oh, and you don't have to fly from Tahiti to Moorea. You can take a ferry over there from downtown Papeete. Much cheaper, better schedules, and more fun.

aceswerling....may I suggest you go to Rangiroa and to Fakarava and then compare the diving to Moorea. Rangiroa and Fakarava are up there with Raja Ampat and Palau....Moorea is not in the ballpark IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom