Friday's (5/14) Maui pics - Molokini Crater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaresMan1, I have only encountered the Pyramid Butterflyfish and the Gilded Triggerfish at Molokini Crater as respects diving on Maui.

very very nice... gotta love it

Gilligan - I've been wondering, how do you get out of the water and back into your kayak with all your gear on and without tipping over? I don't know much about kayaks but would think it's not that easy to get into one from the water?

hmmm, where did your pictures go? Tried to refresh the page a couple of times....nada. Anyway I did have a quick look yesterday and they're great! Glad you went on Friday and not on Saturday! The weather was pretty bad yesterday.
I was wondering how you get in and out of the Kayak all geared up too....

As respects gearing up/down from the kayak. I float my tank/BCD in the water on a leash attached to the kayak. I paddle with my full wetsuit half on and put it completely on at the dive site (except for Molokini as the paddle is too far in a wetsuit). I put my mask and fins on in the kayak, get in the water and look around for unwelcomed visitors, put on my weight belt, then the BCD and that's all there is to it.

It's all explained with photos on the "Kayak Diving" portion of my website ("My Home Page" link below)

Gilligan, sometimes YOU are the only reason I log on to SB in the morning. I love living thru your lens.

Great photos Jim,
So crisp and sharp, excellent.

Gilligan:
051404h.jpg
That looks like some workout, paddling out to the crater. Molokini has got to be one of my favorite places to dive. Last time I was out there (inside) I was trying to find as many endemic species as possible. Seems like there are too many to list. The find of the day, which I wouldn't have known until pointed out by a native, was the rare chocolate longnose butterfly. I'm not sure if she was messing with me, but she seemed really excited. Sorry, no pics. Yours are inspiring as usual, kinda makes me want to drive to the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom