Friend planning on a trip out your way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Aloha!

I have a friend planning a trip to Cebu from July 18 thru August 3...is it a good time to come? How is the weather around that time of year? Good diving there?

In general, coming to the PI during that time period is like going to the Caribbean during that time. In the last five years, the PI has seen as many as 6 tropical depressions / typhoons during those two months. Naturally, they don't all hit the same place but my opinion is that any plans for diving will be a roll of the dice.

Cebu might have some formations that mitigate the effects of severe weather but based on its location on the map, I would be suprised.

Edit: Looking closer, the majority (not all) of the storm tracks were north of the middle of the country.

Mabuhay!

Last year, we had scattered rain showers that time of year. July - Nov is rainy season but it doesn't mean that it always rains during these months.

Mabuhay!

Thanks for the info guys...so it wouldn't be a bad choice for her to go during that time?

justleesa:
Mabuhay!

Thanks for the info guys...so it wouldn't be a bad choice for her to go during that time?
Depends on her level of risk. I'd estimate that there's a better than 60% chance she wouldn't see anything more serious than normal late afternoon rain. Maybe a 5% chance of a serious storm hitting her area at the time she's there and losing 2+ days.

Cebu is fine that time of the year.

here is the general typhoon tensions (frequency and severity)

1. Luzon : high tension : high frequency of typhoons and severity
2. Visayas (including cebu) : mid tension : occasional path of typhoons.
3. Mindanao : low tension : rarely hit by typhoons

you may dive cebu sites anytime of the year. Cebu is protected by islands to the west and east hence not much build up of wave energy hitting the area.

GO for it. the locals will advise you anyhow of sever weather conditions.

FYI : due to the Coriolis effect. wind patterns are predictable and hence typhoons take on the general predictable paths. other factors would be the density of water vapor and the high and low pressure areas near the weather disturbance.

due to the Coriolis you may expect typhoons to be moving northward as they approach the Philippines. this is so due to the rotation of the earth.

to see how fast the earth rotates : determine the equatorial circumference of the earth =Ce (in kilometers) = 40,076 Km

Ce dived by 24 hours = km/hour

40,076Km / 24hr = 1,669.83 Km/hr

that is how fast the earth rotates at the equator hence the Coriiolis effect and Trade winds.

but you don't feel it huh...

justleesa:
Aloha!

I have a friend planning a trip to Cebu from July 18 thru August 3...is it a good time to come? How is the weather around that time of year? Good diving there?

yes, as long as your friend is on the ground and not flying when a typhoon hits. no worries as the people are aware of this occurence and know the basic procedures to keep safe.

paolov:
no worries as the people are aware of this occurence and know the basic procedures to keep safe.
Stay inside, drink San Migs.

hi JL,

I've dove in Mactan Cebu during July/August and the weather was fine. Apparently whale sharks come into the channel around that time so if your friend is lucky they may get the chance to see one!

Back
Top Bottom