Up-to-date recommendations for Puerto Galera in July 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomadicdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hiya.

Long-time lurker finally seeking advice. Want to spend 2 weeks in Puerto Galera sometime in July, most likely in Small Lalaguna or Big Lalaguna. Still close to dive sites, but a bit away from the busy area.

I hate burning time I could be diving on getting around to different locations, so plan is to fly into Manila, get to PG, dive for 2 weeks with a day trip here and there, then back to Manila to fly out.

Originally planned on going to Cebu, but Manila is a better deal/more convenient at this time.

Rusty but very experienced diver who likes to take photos on most but not all dives. Happy to dive muck/macro most of the time with an occasional day trip to see the odd wreck or marine life bigger than a dinner plate. Also BIG fan of night diving, deep water, etc. now and then.

This will be my first of hopefully many trips to the Philippines, so I'm happy to start in PG and expand my horizons on future trips.

Open to any/all suggestions:

1) On getting from Manila to PG; thinking taxi to Batangas ($40ish USD?), fast ferry to PG, though wish more time slots were available...

2) Favorite dive sites/must sees? Sites to avoid/not bother with?

3) Favorite food spots anywhere on Mindoro? Very adventurous foodie, so willing to try anything once; twice, if it tastes good and doesn't kill me.

4) Any topside sites, e.g. waterfalls/hikes, that are a "don't miss" ?

Thanks and best bubbles.

1. Your arrival time at NAIA will determine if you can make the fast ferry. This is crucial unless you want to spend a night at Batangas or cross to Calapan and travel to PG.
PAL flights(from JFK, LAX or SFO) tend to arrive early in the mornig, you should be able to make it. US$40.00 is about P2,200.00 ie not a chance even 15 yrs ago. If you are feeling adventurous then take the public transport. A bid tedious but nothing challenging, I have done it many many times but for a first time visitor in the country? It is your decision. Plenty of info on line and even on SB. No luck requires.
2. Chance to see thrasher shark at Kilimar Steps. Special trip to Verde is a MUST, forget about the extra cost. If you come across any operator offering a day trip, put your name down.
3. A small 9 holes Golf course up in the mountain. There is a small water fall but I had never bothered over the yrs.

Big Lalaguna is even more quieter. Only two resorts: La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre + Scandi.

1) On getting from Manila to PG; thinking taxi to Batangas ($40ish USD?), fast ferry to PG, though wish more time slots were available...

Depending on your arrival timing (as per Centrals) consider overnight in Manila and take the Si-kat a bit more but takes out all the hassle - as recommended by expats and suggested initially by Ken from Mango Dive Centre in Subic

Thanks so much, Central and Rock Hopper! Much appreciated that you took the time.

I'll most likely have an arrival that'll get me in too late for a same-day ferry. Was thinking about taxi straight to Batangas day of arrival, then overnight (though hotels don't look particularly attractive), then first ferry of the day. Si-Kat does look like the best option if I stay in Manila, but wanted to sleep in with vacation jetlag...

I've also been watching the oil spill news and so far, seems like any PG water that is failing might've been questionable prior to the oil spill anyway.

And yeah, I was already thinking Verde Island is a must, if weather permits. I'm not on a splurge trip, but not on a tight budget, either.

Si-Kat departs from City State Hotel, the room is fine with me. There are plenty of others along Mabini St.
Shop around if you want to change money. Ignore any people offering good rate. Do not change large sum in one place.
The area can get quite seedy if you leave the main street.
Robinson Place is a large shopping mall 5 mins away.

Be careful at night in Manila and stay sober.

Verde is a must but I will tell you its a tough dive, especially the second. I was there in March it was a washing machine, currents in every direction even up!

You'll have a great time in PG.

You'll have night-diving opportunities each night. If you can, try and get a night dive on the Alma Jane. The wreck sits a couple minutes off the beach in 30 meters of water. Limited penetration opportunities as the wreck is in poor condition but it makes a terrific night dive and the shorter bottom time isn't so much of an issue at night.

I've dived with Asia Divers and stayed at El Galleon previously and can't say enough good things about both operations.

I can see you're pretty experienced and interested in night / deep. Sounds like you've got time so consider doing some diving with Tech Asia who can take you to see some of the more interesting sights (from the relatively benign, like Japanese Wreck @ 40m, to some more challenging dives off the wall at 50m+ if you have the c-cards or are willing to do a few days' training.

I'll be back in PG towards the end of July for a couple weeks travelling solo also so feel free to drop a DM.

Hi, I'm just wondering if there is any truth that you can now get to Apo Reef on a day trip from PG? Someone (working for Atlantis) told me that it's possible to drive down the coast on a newly paved road and jump on a boat to Apo. This would be amazing, if possible.

Hi, I'm just wondering if there is any truth that you can now get to Apo Reef on a day trip from PG? Someone (working for Atlantis) told me that it's possible to drive down the coast on a newly paved road and jump on a boat to Apo. This would be amazing, if possible.
Hi, You mean the north connection between East and West has been finally completed? Really!
Or do you mean, driving down along the East coast to San Jose and up to Sablayan to catch a chartered banca-boat.
And back to PG, all in a day?!

I took the public coach from Manilla to Batangas and then the ferry. It was a walk in the park and totally hassle free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom