From BCD to BPW: The Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first began diving I used a backpack and small wing. Once I saw the new BCs with their multiple D-rings and bells and whistles I gave them a try. After having one tear apart twice from the weight of my gear I went to a steel backplate. Everything was great until Eric introduced the Freedom plate. Merry bought one and suddenly I couldn't keep up with her on surface swims. We each dive with Freedom plates exclusively now. They are the most comfortable BC I have ever worn, even with the one piece harness. The single tank is held close to your back and it doesn't swing as tanks do with conventional BCs. Even in warm water diving in a T-shirt, the single harness is not noticeable. Padding and sliding releases are not needed.
Eric has his new plates available. You can PM him on Scubaboard.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...952-new-freedom-contour-rolex-backplates.html

... Plan to try both harnesses then. Preliminary in home results lean toward the comfort harness...

There are hybrid possibilities. For me, one of the great advantages of the Freedom Plate is you can use a one-piece strap that is inherently adjustable. You tighten by pulling the belly band, which pulls webbing through the lower slots and tightens the shoulders. After the dive you just unbuckle and push the shoulder straps away far enough that a polar bear could slip out. I never need a crotch strap, but YMMV.

I find that there is a little too much resistance in the slots so I added rollers made from ½" PVC pipe and D-rings. I found a use for the D-rings to hang emergency gear (DSMB & Radio). You can get the advantage of softer and wider shoulder straps by making or purchasing sleeves for the shoulders, which also incorporate useful D-rings.
Freedom Plate Webbing Guide.jpg

Akimbo, I love the roller idea. That was the main problem I had with the one piece harness. I will have to give that a try.

Lowviz has been helping me with the rigging and getting it balanced as well. He also has a DIY tailpiece and hardware he is sending me. When done, it should be one sweet kit!

Akimbo, I love the roller idea...

I forgot to mention. Be sure to put a keeper on the belly-strap opposite the buckle so it doesn't pull all the way out of the slots -- assuming you use a cam buckle. I like to add a D-ring to the keeper.

The best way I found is to split the PVC pipe lengthwise with a hacksaw, spread the kerf with a screwdriver, and force the D-ring in. Then smear a little PVC cement in the kerf and clamp for half an hour. Gray PVC conduit probably looks a little better than white, but you only need about 4" so whatever scrap you have is fine.

The trick is to position the bellyband keeper close to the buckle when tight to allow max shoulder adjustment. You always want shoulder straps looser in a suit than in street clothes sitting in the shop. Also play with the adjustment when sitting, like on a boat, and standing like you might on a beach.

I also like to put a dead-man rescue ring on the backplate. It is very handy if you doff the tank in the water and clip it off to a line from the boat. It is also great just for washing and drying.

Edit: This photo is an early iteration. I didn't have single piece of webbing long enough so installed a cam buckle on the left shoulder for testing. I haven't found any need for a shoulder release because there was enough adjustment to pull shoulder straps. A shoulder release is not a bad idea for someone who has bad shoulders and wears a really heavy drysuit. I wouldn't use a cam buckle for the job though.

Merry Christmas all.

Attachments

• Freedom Pack - Front.jpg
    Freedom Pack - Front.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 353
  • Freedom Pack - Rescue Ring.jpg
    Freedom Pack - Rescue Ring.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
...//... Eric knew I wasn't DIR before he sent the plate. I think he may be hoping to convert me. The jury is still out. I'll let you know if I see the light...

-wouldn't kill you to give it a try, nudged you in that direction already. Check your friends list. :wink:

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to manipulate the webbing. One can alter the standard harness to adapt to the unique needs of each diver, such as a quick release for my limited ROM in my shoulder.

OK, I'm calling "community project" on this one. :D

If you want a quick release, fine, just go with a LOOP in the webbing whose excess can be taken up with a clip and not a shoulder strap that can be completely severed by unclipping.

...//... Lowviz has been helping me with the rigging and getting it balanced as well. He also has a DIY tailpiece and hardware he is sending me. When done, it should be one sweet kit!

Your shoulder D-ring to waist D-ring spacing is likely to set your secondary air supply in an uncomfortable position. The tailpiece will pull the bottle into your slipstream and the center loop will give you a place to clip-off a secondary buoyancy device. (reel and bag) As it is, you do not have redundancy with respect to lift. This will give you a valid fall-back.

Forget D-ring slip, these won't.

Do you need/want a chest strap? I'm finishing two "skewed pentagonal" rings, your choice. A lot more sewing for you, and no chance of continuous loop webbing.

Your steel tanks present a challenge, you need more buoyancy(=warmth) if you are going to strap your steel tank to this rig.

Pic:

Attachments

• D-Rings.jpg
    D-Rings.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 588
Eric knew I wasn't DIR before he sent the plate. I think he may be hoping to convert me. The jury is still out. I'll let you know if I see the light...
I'm about as polar opposite from DIR as a person can get!
I'm considered an absolute vulgar non believing sacroligious heathen in their congregation.
I'm on their sh_t list, and proud of it.

Looks great. Can't wait to get them on the rig. Thanks.

I'm considered an absolute vulgar non believing sacroligious heathen in their congregation.

Sorry Eric. No insult intended. As you know, I'm a member of the Dark Side myself. :D

-wouldn't kill you to give it a try, nudged you in that direction already. Check your friends list. :wink:

If you want a quick release, fine, just go with a LOOP in the webbing whose excess can be taken up with a clip and not a shoulder strap that can be completely severed by unclipping.

Your shoulder D-ring to waist D-ring spacing is likely to set your secondary air supply in an uncomfortable position. The tailpiece will pull the bottle into your slipstream and the center loop will give you a place to clip-off a secondary buoyancy device. (reel and bag) As it is, you do not have redundancy with respect to lift. This will give you a valid fall-back.

Forget D-ring slip, these won't.

Do you need/want a chest strap? I'm finishing two "skewed pentagonal" rings, your choice. A lot more sewing for you, and no chance of continuous loop webbing.

Your steel tanks present a challenge, you need more buoyancy(=warmth) if you are going to strap your steel tank to this rig.

Pic:

Dennis, that tailpiece is friggin gorgeous! Homemade? I could see needing one of those.

And I have red webbing on my Freedom Contour. It gets plenty of attention around here when I pull it out. Poodle jacket shops don't even want their students looking at it let alone talking to me. But then the last part has been true for awhile now:wink::D.

I have a feeling you're going to ditch the shoulder pads once you use it in the water. Trying on the set up on land is completely different; the weighting load is almost opposite. With just webbing, the harness tends to 'disappear' in the water, giving you a very nice clutter-free feeling.

I use a slightly lighter weight webbing for the harness on my freedom plate than I do with my standard plate that I use almost exclusively for doubles these days. There's a decent online webbing store, strapworks.com, that has some good strong-but-flexible 2" webbing.

I use keepers at the waistbelt slots, I don't want tugging on the waistbelt to affect the shoulder straps. I have them adjusted where I want them, meaning fairly loose, and I want them to stay that way. In the water it's nothing like wearing a backpack.

I think you'll be very happy diving with the freedom plate and the small oxycheq wing. I use the 18lb wing even with a HP100 and 5mm suit, no lead, it works out great. With a 3mm and AL80, I put 6lbs on the cambands and I'm good. My freedom plate is one of the early aluminum ones.

I didn't know there was one.
Nice plates, BTW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom