Front entry or Rear entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rimp

Contributor
Reaction score
Well.. I can't decide.

I tried on a front entry suit the other day. It was a b_tch to get on/off with the limited space around the right shoulder. The advantage is you don't need anyone to zip/unzip you. But is that enough to warrant the extra cost/convenience?

I tried on a rear entry suit today. It was real easy to get in/out. The only problem is you need someone else to zip you up. Also the rear entry suit didnt have a protective flap over it. That seems dangerous somehow no?

What do you all use and why? What would be your choice if you had a second chance to decide?

back entry with cover flap.

never dive alone so zipping up is not a problem

Rimp:
Well.. I can't decide.

I tried on a front entry suit the other day. It was a b_tch to get on/off with the limited space around the right shoulder. The advantage is you don't need anyone to zip/unzip you. But is that enough to warrant the extra cost/convenience?

I tried on a rear entry suit today. It was real easy to get in/out. The only problem is you need someone else to zip you up. Also the rear entry suit didnt have a protective flap over it. That seems dangerous somehow no?

What do you all use and why? What would be your choice if you had a second chance to decide?

I dive a front entry DUI TLS350 and love4 it.

I like being able to not have to ask for help, whether there is a buddy around or not. I dive solo and with buddies, so being able to do both is nice.

Once you have done the entry to and exit from the suit a couple of times, it becomes second nature.

Rimp:
Well.. I can't decide.

I dive a front entry DUI 50/50 and would never dive rear entry. The convenience of being able to get in and out of a suit without assistance is worth every penny. I trust nobody but myself to make sure the zipper is completely closed. Yes I dive solo most of the time and wouldn't have it any other way.

DSDO

Alan

Whether or not you dive solo (ick) or not, I would still go front entry. The most expensive part to a drysuit is the zipper. By having the zipper on the rear, that's the part that's going through the most abuse, absorbing the weight of tanks and sliding in and out of BC's/Backplates.

In many suits, a rear-entry zipper may also affect mobility across the shoulder blades necessary for valve drills.

I'm quite surprised by some of the posts on this thread. I dive both front and rear zip wetsuits. Only on very rare occasions have I needed any help getting my rear zip wetsuits on and zipped. My front zip used to get stuck on me... I couldn't remove it without assistance at times (probably when my weight increased a bit). It is far more difficult to get off than any of my rear zip suits, yet I still wear it.

One amusing incident occured with a rear zip wetsuit. I walked back to my house with the wetsuit on and tried to remove it. The zipper got stuck. My housemate wasn't home, nor were any of my neighbors. I had to walk down to the fire station and have them unzip it!

Doc

I dove wetsuits with a back zipper (Body Gloves). As someone mentioned a long strap on the zipper made it a self donning suit.

I dove a dry suit with a back zipper (Mobby's) and never had any problems with wear and tear due to bc and tanks. I spent several end of dives hopping from one foot to the other though waiting for the wife to get me out of the suit so I could run for the head.

I just got a new front zip dry suit (DUI 450). I dont have to wait for the wife anymore. Donning is no problem. I like the front zip a whole lot more. The only thing is the zipper rest under my bc shoulder strap and I can feel it while diving. I think that will be eliminated after a few more dives and some re-arrangements to the bc and inner garment.

this dude is talking about drysuits, I think. I'm unaware of any front entry wetsuit where the right shoulder is more constricted than the left.

There is a really simple answer, too.

You ever gotten out of the water and had to stand around doing the "I really gotta pee" dance waiting for some slow-moving soul to dump their rig and unzip you?

Self sufficiency in all things. Get a front zip drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom