Frontal sinus pain after ascending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's also true that pain is a very relative phenomenon. The more stimuli of various sorts you are experiencing, the less noticeable a pain may be, especially if it isn't severe. That's why people often report that injuries are much more bothersome at night, when they are in bed and have little else to focus upon.

Something else to consider is a migraine. Migraines often present themselves as pain around one orbit. Stress, climate change, and (I don't know if you are a male of female) hormones can play into migraines.

TS&M - I see what you're saying. The sensory distractions could have been affecting my experience as I was ascending.

Morecowbells- That's interesting. I never thought about migraine because from what I thought, I just wasn't a "migraine sufferer." I've always thought migraines were excruciating, induced nausea, photophobia, etc. That very well may be, though, as I was certainly very stressed, probably dehydrated, and had just gotten off a plane from a more arid climate.

Today, all is still good after 6 or so more dives over the past couple days.

I want to thank you all for taking the time to respond. Got to love SB!

Hi Chilly,

It could be a mild barotrauma that caused some swelling after the dive, possibly complicated by sinusitis. He was able to localize the pain to his right frontal sinus and the pain set in after the dive, so that's first on the differential in my opinion but I've been wrong at least once before :wink:

Best regards,
DDM

Was that the the time you thought you'd made a mistake, but it turned out you hadnt? :wink:

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 10:13 PM ----------

Lopez, non-dive related anecdote; one day i awoke see prism like blurring in one eye. Quite terrified, went immediately to my eye doctor. Dr. reassured me that I wasn't losing my eyesight nor hallucinating. Merely that i had a migraine. Imagine that, no pain at all, not even in the affected eye. I've experienced similar twice since then but don't get all workedup about it. Just grateful it's' painless! :)

Was that the the time you thought you'd made a mistake, but it turned out you hadnt? :wink:

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 10:13 PM ----------

Lopez, non-dive related anecdote; one day i awoke see prism like blurring in one eye. Quite terrified, went immediately to my eye doctor. Dr. reassured me that I wasn't losing my eyesight nor hallucinating. Merely that i had a migraine. Imagine that, no pain at all, not even in the affected eye. I've experienced similar twice since then but don't get all workedup about it. Just grateful it's' painless! :)

Wow. That would be quite unnerving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom