Ft Lauderdale or Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edkibbe

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Going to Naples just before x-mas and as I will have the family can probably only get away with one day of diving. Anyone that can help advise whether to drive to Ft Lauderdale (Shorter) or Key Largo for the day. I haven't any experience with South FL.

It would make a very long day to drive to Key Largo, dive, and then drive back. The dive sites are somewhat further offshore in the Keys, so that would prolong the experience, too.

I've dove with Leo Sand on the Lil Deeper out of Boynton Beach for most of the past six years. A top notch operation, very safety conscious, laid back time-wise. The reef system is interesting and very close to shore here. You can contact Leo at dci@deeper-dci.com or check the website at www.deeper-dci.com.

Thanks for the info. Have any idea what traffic will be like if I try to drive it early in the morning.

I would second just staying in the Ft. Lauderdale area if you only have one day... I have been diving on the Diversity in Deerfield and have enjoyed it. The captain (Tony) is a nice guy, and will take you on some great reefs, and tell you some great stories if you ask...

I've dove both many times. I'd have to say that the extra drive to Key Largo is well worth it. The only live coral reefs in N. America. More dive shops per square mile than anywhere.....and for a very good reason....simply the best diving in the U.S. But either way, you're sure to find great dives in either place :wink:

p.s. Drive time from Naples to Ft Lauderdale = 1 hr 45 mins
and from Naples to Key Largo = 2 hrs 50 mins

Do you like wrecks or reef dives? Wrecks: either Ft Lauderdale or Key Largo. Reefs: Key Largo.

You'll have to leave Naples at 5:00 - 5:30 a.m. to get to the dock on time in Key Largo. Do you really want to get up that early?

I was very impressed with the diving at Boynton that I did three weeks ago. Some cool wrecks and great reefs.

Just an idea, but why don't you just make it a two day trip!!!! There are plenty of things for the fam to do at either location and I think it will be well worth making it down to the Keys. Hell, I'd do it (the Keys) just for the culture and beautiful drive on Overseas Hwy and I think the Conch's would second that!! Just be prepared for the uncontrollable urge to continue driving until you make it to mile marker 0:wink:.

erikp:
I would second just staying in the Ft. Lauderdale area if you only have one day... I have been diving on the Diversity in Deerfield and have enjoyed it. The captain (Tony) is a nice guy, and will take you on some great reefs, and tell you some great stories if you ask...

I second Capt. Tony of Diversity in Deerfield Beach. I dove with him several times. If you need his number, let me know.

TOM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom