Ft. Lauderdale Road Trip (w/pics and video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very nice

I missed seeing the seahorse!! :( You guys are great at seeing the details and capturing them with the camera :)

I bet you didn't even see the taco-eating eel did you????

BS_eel_taco.jpg

These are some great pics. I think my favorite is the one on page 2 of the pufferfish with the sea urchins behind it. Were these all taken on beach dives and at BHB? Or were some from boat dives? When I was a kid we used to go this area every year at Christmas/New Years, and my recollection is that most days would be too rough for beach diving. On a 10 day vacation, there might be 2-3 days that were calm enough for snorkeling. I think you were fortunate to get some beach diving in.

6 dives were beach. 3 boat dives and 2 dives at BHB. 2 of our beach dives were a little rough but we battled through them. We aborted one beach dive New Years night. It was real rough.

These are some great pics. I think my favorite is the one on page 2 of the pufferfish with the sea urchins behind it. Were these all taken on beach dives and at BHB? Or were some from boat dives? When I was a kid we used to go this area every year at Christmas/New Years, and my recollection is that most days would be too rough for beach diving. On a 10 day vacation, there might be 2-3 days that were calm enough for snorkeling. I think you were fortunate to get some beach diving in.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I saw you guys went to Pompano for your shore dives. Is that the area you frequent at? Also, do you have recommendations for nearby dive shops? Ideally the plan would be shop <-> scuba :)

I saw you guys went to Pompano for your shore dives. Is that the area you frequent at? Also, do you have recommendations for nearby dive shops? Ideally the plan would be shop <-> scuba :)

Best shore diving in the area (IMHO) is at Anglin' Pier (aka Commercial Pier) in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. Do a search for LOADS of info on it. Be prepared for a 200yard swim or so. There are two reefs there, with a strip of sand about 100ft between them. They run parallel to shore.

I liked Pompano Dive Center, Fill Express and Diver's Direct best for dive shops. There's also a dive shop a block away from the pier if you need fast access to air fills. Favorite charter is Capt. Conrad Nix aboard the Miss Conduct. He charges $50 for a two tank, and $75 for a three tank, but I always give him $100 because he puts us on the lobster (even when there aren't any to be found) and keeps us laughing with his salty sea tales. He also has access to rental tanks if you give him notice. Great guy.

Force-E is an okay shop, but they still do partial-pressure nitrox blending. I don't understand that at all. No excuse for putting 100% oxygen into a recreational scuba tank in this day and age.

Back
Top Bottom