Fuel worries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How much you guys paying for fuel in your part of the world? & What do you burn?
I burn diesel and go through around 15 gallons an hour in a calm sea at 22 knots.
The price of diesel has not been as kind as gasoline in the recent drop. My marina is still asking around $4.10 a gallon. I hold just over 300 gallons.
Last year I paid as much as $6 per gallon.

We buy gasoline/oil mix for our Yamaha 115s and 200s. We are currently paying $3.10/gallon. It was up as high as $5.50/gallon in August, and went as low as $2.85/gallon in December.

Hi John,

Diesel prices were REALLY scarey this summer, well over $5/gallon, even with discounts. We slowed our boats down and they are burning much less fuel now that we found the sweet spot for fuel efficiencey.

We also try to plan our schedules so that we can stop and re-fuel where the prices are the lowest. For example, once a month we schedule a weekend of charters with passenger pickups in the South End of our range, knowing we can re-fuel for a lot less $$ down there.

How much you guys paying for fuel in your part of the world? & What do you burn?
I burn diesel and go through around 15 gallons an hour in a calm sea at 22 knots.
The price of diesel has not been as kind as gasoline in the recent drop. My marina is still asking around $4.10 a gallon. I hold just over 300 gallons.
Last year I paid as much as $6 per gallon.

I burn gas here in LI Sound on a 21' privateer..6 pack..200 yamaha hpdi.Comes out to around 7/8 gallon /hr..@ 3800rpm..i and that is on the high side of estimating :)..ts alot better than my old Johnson 175 that burned 12-15 hr. Hopefully cost will remain lower than it was last year..

I guess I am quite lucky where I am at in New Jersey. My municipal marina charges $1.77 for diesel! I filled it yesterday at that price, but it has been good all winter for me. I think it has to do with all the fishing charter boats tied up in the commercial section of the marina. Still a pretty good hit for me and I only hold 160 gallons.
Gene

About 2.17$/ gallon over here in North Sumatra. We have to run it thru an Italian water filter 1st though becuz it has everything in it from wood and plastic chips to dog hair. Over 1000 gallons. Lots of fun!

Last edited:
We pay Y75 a liter here in Japan for diesel. (About 83 cents a liter)

Last year I went to a $2500 Floscan fuel management system so that I could go to base charter cost + fuel cost for the day. It made more sense than trying to establish some arbitrary fuel surcharge for any given fuel price. I think the most it got to was $4.70 at the Morehead City Yacht basin. We look at the day's fuel burn and the customers pay the burn times the price at the yacht basin of my last fuel fill. I think this protects me from the volatility of up and down fuel, and shows the customer I am making no profit on a surcharge.

I am running a single John Deere diesel (375 hp) that pushes me along at 21 knots burning 14 gph, so I am burning about 50-60 gallons for an offshore dive trip. Divide that by six and you are looking at less than $25 per diver for the fuel bill.

I was hoping I could get the ROI on the $2500 investment by finding the sweet spot in my fuel burn, but that hasn't really come to fruition.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom