Fuji F31 vs F50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted an inexpensive first-time camera, and the f40fd has been ideal.
My setup ran me $208(Amazon-Camera+Free 2Gb card) and the case ($75).

The camera is easy to handle underwater and menus are relatively straight forward.

The only draw back to the f40fd is the lack of image stabilzation. Luckily, this feature is not used underwater, only topside.

For the price, I could not find a nicer setup.

My album is at picasaweb:
Picasa Web Albums - SoCalSwami

If it helps, include the F-30 in your search, refurb. or used. I've got an F-30 and my wife dives w/ the F-31, no difference on photo quality, same uw case, battery life etc. At snorkeling depths (10' or so) in clear water the camera's UW setting (SPmode>Scene Position>Underwater) color balances pretty good. Otherwise stay in macro, use Forced Flash and enjoy great detail and color.
One of the under-appreciated features of the Fuji housing is the flash diffuser attch. Extends out from the flash area and angles the flash slightly down and past the case extension for the lens. Isn't perfect coverage but gives a reasonably soft, even coverage that avoids glare and a lot of back-scatter. There is a manual white balance but even balancing from a white slate there isn't a lot of correction. (Some Photoshop fiddling takes care of most color problems, hardly ever need to correct the flash shots.) Sorry to go on about (almost) unavailable cameras but like I said, used or refurb either one is a neat little dive camera. Haven't seen F-40 results but sounds like SoCalSwami is happy w/ theirs. // ww

hi guys, i just had to post a message to defend the Fuji F50. Granted what everyone has complained about is technically true, but the fact is it is not a worse camera than the F31. People are saying they cannot find the F31 for sale but i say this; the f50 has twice the pixels and if im not mistaken a much higher ISO than the F31. Try buying the F50, drop the pixels down to 6 in the menu, and the iso to the highest the F31 supported and then take your pics. I think you'll find they are identical to the F31's pics in the same conditions. You shouldnt have to do this granted but this supports the case that the F50 is not a worse camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom