Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmediver2002:
In fact I was pricing them with Ocean Technology Systems today and you can get the semi-positive pressure for about $500.

By far I have found the AGA to be the best all around full face mask. As a matter of fact, it is the only one I use now. Also, I've never had problems with clearing. If you have questions talk to John Hott at OTS jhott@oceantecnologysystems.com or 1 800-550-1984...he's very responsive and knows his stuff...By the way, it's not cheap, but well worth the $$$.

I had an Ocean Reef Neptune... it sucked. I ended up buying an AGA in the non-pos pressure version. Don't waste your money on the Neptune it's a joke. No matter which FFM you buy, make sure you get the proper training there a little more involved and you can run into trouble inless you know what your doing. good luck.

BTW I think Posiden bought out Interspiro (AGA)

Barbara,

There are several reasons to dive a full face mask and physiological issues such as TMJ are certainly valid. There are quite a few options, depending on how much you want to spend. Take the time to research the different masks, learn what makes one mask better than others.

There are lots of reasons why some masks cost more than others, but price doesn't necessarily mean quality. Take the AGA (Interspiro Divator MKII), one can be had for around $500 retail. This is in the ball park of an Ocean Reef Neptune, yet the AGA is a MUCH higher quality mask (I'm refraining from giving my honest opinion of the Neptune). I agree with Mare-by-the-Sea that it's the best mask available. The Poseidon Atmosphere is a lot more money, although a pretty good mask, I'd debate the improvement over the AGA. I do like the strap buckles better, but you can't adjust the nose block without cutting it and then you're stuck with that level and the oral nasal obviously wasn't designed for clearing water. It's another mask made for a different purpose adapted to diving. The Scuba Pro isn't a bad mask, make sure it fits and that the plate in the front of the oral pocket doesn't jam you in the mouth, not a lot of room in the oral pocket. If you have a smaller face, there is the Mantis mask made in Japan and it's pretty well priced if you can find it. Keep this in mind, a smaller face fits deeper into a full face mask.

All these masks can be fitted with communications. You can talk to your buddy that's next to you without electronics, but it's pretty muffled.

Do consider a full face mask as advanced equipment. SeaDiver5's information about bailout proceedures very true, learn how to use the mask well in a controlled environment before venturing into open water. Don't let this scare you off though, full face masks have saved more people than they have harmed.

More on this if you like.

rmediver2002:
In fact I was pricing them with Ocean Technology Systems today and you can get the semi-positive pressure for about $500.

Another great and very versatile mask is the Kirby Morgan M-48...
While the M-48 would be my first choice it doesn't have the oral/nasal pocket, so brething through the nose is not an option.

For that, my vote goes to the semi-positive AGA. High quality mask with an excellent second stage. Worth the money if you can afford it.
As Jeff and Mare pointed out, OTS is a good company to contact for either info on the AGA or UW comms.

You might want to consider getting training in the use of a FFM as bailout procedures tend to be quite different. I believe UFL offers them, as does PSA.

Make sure you try the mask before you get it as it has to fit your face. For mine both M-48 and AGA work well. The Scubapro is too wide, I can slide both hands in on the side.

Stefan

DFC5343:
BTW I think Posiden bought out Interspiro (AGA)

Nope, Interspiro has not been purchased by Poseidon. Where did you here this?

Scubakevdm:
Hi Barbara, here's information on the Ocean Reef FFM. WWW.Oceanreefgroup.com. This is a high end FFM with 2nd stage. It definately allows you to breath through your nose, and can be fitted with a communications system (also available through Ocean Reef) as well.

I've actually used this mask and I wouldn't recommend it. If you dive in a horizontal posture then it is very prone to slightly (or more) free flowing whenever you look down and if you adjust the reg so that doesn't happen then it's too stiff to breathe from when you look up. It leaves you fiddling with the reg the whole time. I've heard that if you go deep with them that they work better but I think they should work shallow too.....

I think the problem is that the air pocket inside the mask is much too large for a "normal" reg and the reg they have....well....it sucks.

I also had one with their communications module in it and the microphone short circuited and left a nice little burn on my lip. Not very inspiring.

R..

Another thing to consider is the Poseidon Atmosphere FFM is available in a SMALL version; quite a few folks having narrow faces that use the AGA have had to cobble some tubing on the skirt to get a seal.
The reg on the Poseidon is switchable between normal demand & positive pressure.
As far as talking w/o electronic comms, you won't be able to hear anyone in a FFM unless you are within inches.

caveseeker7:
You might want to consider getting training in the use of a FFM as bailout procedures tend to be quite different. I believe UFL offers them, as does PSA.

Stefan

University of Florida?

I can contact UF and see if they are instructing this now but I do not believe they are currently.

Florida State Does teach it:

http://www.adp.fsu.edu/courses/FullFaceMask/index.html

and here is some additional information on a couple of the masks mentioned on the thread so far, some pictures also so you can have a reference for some of the masks mentioned.

http://www.adp.fsu.edu/HistoryOfDiving/index.html

Jeff Lane

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom