Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3:
Another thing to consider is the Poseidon Atmosphere FFM is available in a SMALL version; quite a few folks having narrow faces that use the AGA have had to cobble some tubing on the skirt to get a seal.
The reg on the Poseidon is switchable between normal demand & positive pressure.
As far as talking w/o electronic comms, you won't be able to hear anyone in a FFM unless you are within inches.

I agree a great feature of this mask is that the smaller size fits those with a smaller face very well.

Just one note is though, the Poseidon should be purchased as a set unless your already diving a Poseidon regulator, they are set to run at a higher intermediate pressure than most manufacturers...

Jeff Lane

rmediver2002:
University of Florida?

I can contact UF and see if they are instructing this now but I do not believe they are currently.

Florida State Does teach it
You actually have two schools in Florida?
Just kidding, Jeff, I meant FSU, sorry for the mixup. Wasn't intended.
I think it's great you got a FFM course, they're hard to come by.

Stefan

Just one note is though, the Poseidon should be purchased as a set unless your already diving a Poseidon regulator, they are set to run at a higher intermediate pressure than most manufacturers.
The Jetstream uses an IP of 145 PSI, which is, for the most part, right at the top range for many other regs on the market.
I agree with getting the whole set though, as the Poseidon 1st stage is arguably the best out there.
I wonder if anyone knows of an affordable mask ...
It'd be easier to make recommendations for FFMs if the word "affordable" were better defined.
What's "affordable" for me changes from week to week. wink

caveseeker7:
You actually have two schools in Florida?
Just kidding, Jeff, I meant FSU, sorry for the mixup. Wasn't intended.
I think it's great you got a FFM course, they're hard to come by.

Stefan

Those are fighting words around here!!

There is a reason that almost every dive rescue team in the world, and the US military use the AGA. If you need more endorsement then that, I can't imagine what you're looking for. If you're concerned with price, the AGA is one of the cheaper FFMs on the market at around $500. Don't bother with the positive pressure model unles your planing on diving in contaminated water.
The cressi mask is not good for anything other then "trying" to dive with a FFM.If you've ever dove with one of the cressisub styles, then tried an AGA you wouldn't put the cressi back on unless you were being paid to.

The AGA works, its relativly easy to service for those of us who work on regs, and comfortable to wear for extended periods;
simply put, its the best FFM on the market.

Diver0001:
I've actually used this mask and I wouldn't recommend it. If you dive in a horizontal posture then it is very prone to slightly (or more) free flowing whenever you look down and if you adjust the reg so that doesn't happen then it's too stiff to breathe from when you look up. It leaves you fiddling with the reg the whole time. I've heard that if you go deep with them that they work better but I think they should work shallow too.....

I think the problem is that the air pocket inside the mask is much too large for a "normal" reg and the reg they have....well....it sucks.

I also had one with their communications module in it and the microphone short circuited and left a nice little burn on my lip. Not very inspiring.

R..
They do have an excellent promotional video though.

Scubakevdm:
They do have an excellent promotional video though.
They need to because otherwise no one would buy that thing. Unfortunately their marketing department is pretty good, from instore displays to frequent depiction in the press to the videeo you mentioned.

But as nyresq pointed out, the higher quality AGA is used by considerably more professional users. Watch the news and you see SAR teams using them. Watch Discovery/NG channels and you see UW film teams using them. Same for 'behind the (movie making) scenes'.

At about the same price, there is a reason for that ... .

nyresq:
There is a reason that almost every dive rescue team in the world, and the US military use the AGA. If you need more endorsement then that, I can't imagine what you're looking for.

I think this is partly because the AGA is common as a firefighter mask on the surface. People tend to use what is familiar.

In commercial diving I see EXO-26 (and BR) far more often than the AGA.

Filmmakers like the AGA because the large faceplate lets people see the face of the diver.

Any of the professional FFMs are fine for diving and will work well and last a long time. Diving them is a bit different so training is in order. None of them are inexpensive .

pipedope:
I think this is partly because the AGA is common as a firefighter mask on the surface. People tend to use what is familiar.
I'm sure the quality of the mask and the excellence of the 2nd stage plays a role there, too.

pipedope:
In commercial diving I see EXO-26 (and BR) far more often than the AGA.
Yes, if they don't use hard hats in the first place, they frequently if not usually use the EXO. KMDSI builds mostly commercial diving supplies. Some of what you said about the firefighters above probably applies here, too as KMDSI also builds helmets. But for most rec diving the EXO is too large, heavy and cumbersome. And quite expensive.

pipedope:
Filmmakers like the AGA because the large faceplate lets people see the face of the diver.
They're used by the crew, behind the camera, too. Probably more often than in front of it.

pipedope:
Any of the professional FFMs are fine for diving and will work well and last a long time. Diving them is a bit different so training is in order. None of them are inexpensive .
Agree on all points (as long as the Neptune isn't considered professional).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom