Full face scuba Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see three potential considerations:
a) You typically can't pinch your nose to help equalize (there are other approaches...)
b) If a regular mask dies on a trip, it is fairly easy to buy (or sometimes even rent) a new one. A spare is fairly inexpensive. Not so with a full face, especially with a dedicated reg.
c) The procedures are a bit different (with more task loading) in an OOA situation with a FF.

I read that they drastically increase your air consumption. But I have never used one...

Well, I've never actually used one, but I have read a bit about them.

Downsides:
They're bigger with more drag.
They're harder to clear.
You can't really buddy breathe with one.
You have to remove your mask in the event of a regulator problem.
You have to remove your mask to switch gasses.
If you do remove your mask, you need a spare conventional mask if you want to see anything.

Upsides:
Communications.
Warmth.
No jaw fatigue.
Being able to breathe through your nose.
If you lose consciousness you can keep breathing until your tank is empty.

While I have only dived a couple of different FFMs, I think Elmer got most of the high points. To upsides I would add environmental protection - which would include warmth, but could include contaminants if done properly. To downsides, I edit that depending on which FFM you may not have to remove your mask for an OOA / regulator problem -- the Kirby-Morgan M48 has a removable pod (designed for the Military, the removable pod was requirement for OOA situations). Gas switching can be accomplished through a switch block -- some suggest that's another failure point, you can be the judge of that.

Also increases your dead air spaces, complicates first stages, more parts that can go wrong with a dive essentially. Look around you when you go diving and get a general idea for what people use, if they're not using it there's a good reason why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom