Full face scuba Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also increases your dead air spaces, complicates first stages, more parts that can go wrong with a dive essentially. Look around you when you go diving and get a general idea for what people use, if they're not using it there's a good reason why.

I know, I was asking for the "why" part of it.

Also increases your dead air spaces, complicates first stages, more parts that can go wrong with a dive essentially. Look around you when you go diving and get a general idea for what people use, if they're not using it there's a good reason why.

Not sure what you mean by complicating 1st stages.

As for looking around and see what people use, I don't think that necessarily applies with FFMs. Like all equipment, there is a time and place for FFMs. You don't see many people diving FFMs recreationally, because (1) no recreational diving agency trains students on them, (2) cost, avg price is 4x the price of a half-mask, (3) the advantages of an FFM are generally not beneficial in a recreational environment.

As for modeling yourself around what others are wearing, make sure you pick the right 'model'. Being all dressed/geared up like a Christmas tree with retractors, tank bangers, and other assorted danglies isn't something I would suggest modeling.

Via my volunteer work I dive different versions of the OTS masks 3-4 days a week, in closed and open water environments. IMHO others have covered the main issues, unless you are very sensitive to the cold, in toxic water or have buddies you want to communicate with underwater I just don't see the practicality of diving this in most rec situations, has never occurred to me to buy one in 30yrs of diving. For me the main issue are:

1. If you have a flood or a problem it is more complicated to deal with. In a total failure you need an octo and a spare mask.
2. A high volume mask and due to design does limit "range of motion" of your head. For me it is hard to "look down", at your body, when putting things on D-rings, etc....
3. Air consumption is IMHO about 25% greater, especially if you are talking to buddies. Think talking while on a treadmill.

For some situations they are perfect but would not be my first choice for standard, everyday diving.

Some are different than others. I had to use a Scubapro FFM for a while when my TMJ flared up real bad and I couldn't hold a regulator in my mouth. That one is nice in that it's not positive pressure, so SAC stays comparable.
I like my AGA though... Breathing through my nose is always nice. Both have COM abilities. They're also nice in cold water since your cheeks aren't exposed

Back
Top Bottom