Full Foot Fin Feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Footslogger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Time to look at fins. Haven't bought a new pair of fins in over 15 years. Just spent a week on a liveaboard and saw several divers with full foot fins. When I started diving in the early 70's I remember that the most popular fin was the US Diver Otari.

Anyway ...most of my diving now is tropical and on liveaboards. Plus at 56 I'm not all that interested in speed or heavy legwork. So, I'm thinking about going back to a closed foot fin with lycra socks instead of thick booties.

I've narrowed my search to a couple fin types and wanted to get some feedback from any divers who use or have used them. The 2 fins in mind are the Tusa Full Foot Split Fins and the Cressi-Sub Pro Star Full Foot Fins. I've been intrigued with the split fin design but I'm not willing to pay the price for the open heeled styles. Also I was wondering if the split fin style is really needed with a lighter weight full foot fin.

Any feedback from those familiar with either of these fins would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

'Slogger

Footslogger,

I dive in the warm waters of south Florida and only use full foot fins. I like their comfort, weight, and the back-to-basics, old style feel. I know you don't want speed but I'd avoid a split in the full foot type fins. Not enough umph for scuba. You might find that they fold up under your kick. The heavier open heel splits pack a better punch with that blade design. Those Cressis you mentioned look good but for me I have found that the best full foot fin out there is the Mares Plana Avanti Tre. Check these out before you buy anything else. They are very comfortable and have a blade that is plenty strong for scuba yet are crazy light and easy to kick. I am a bigger guy and never have a problem with them folding up under my kick. I wont dive anything else in a full foot fin. They come in several colors including my choice, black. Here is a couple links to them.

http://www.mares.com/product_detail.php?id=87&region=ALL

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_2=84/MRSFPT.html

Any of Mares' Avanti fins are great... I had a pair of full foot Quatro's which I loved but have now got a pair of Tre's. Blue, in case you were wondering!

I have been diving with a pair of Aeris Velocity full foot and I LOVE them. I their they weigh a total of 3lbs together. Extreamly fast for a light weight fin and they are very easy on the legs. They got a Scuba Labs Best Buy and a Testers Choice rating and their such a smoking deal, a whopping $39 bucks.. The Scuba Lab review is as follows.

´´This fin dives like a dream. It´s easy on the legs, highly maneuverable and provides effortless propulsion. It also has outstanding power vs. stress rates and easy-to-maintain speed. The fin is deceptive; it requires so little effort it sometimes does not seem like its doing much, but in fact its moving you right along.´´ -Scuba Lab

aerisvelocityfins_1.jpg

I use cressi pro star, Find them great, they have enough grunt to tow and perform a rescue if needed yet are light enough to double as comfy snorkle fins. I'd avoid the split fin as they limit you fin stroke to a basic kick, if you want to expand your finning styles to a frog kick or the like, split fins suck!!

ps, pro star have lasted me 150 dives and still going very strong

We have the Tusa Full Foot Xpert Zoom Split Fins. They are very comfortable and inexpensive. They have received good reviews in the magazines. They won't give you as much power as other fins, but they won't give you leg cramps either. They are very maneuverable.

Appreciate all the feedback. I decided to go with the Mares Avanti TSE's. We'll see how they work. Nice thing is that they're not as dawgawn expensive as the open heel style fins.

'Slogger

While everyone is discussing full foot fins, does anyone know of some that would fit a person who needs a multiple last shoe? In simple terms, my foot is wide at the base of my toes, but VERY narrow at the heel. Every full foot fin I've tried on either pinches at the ball of my foot or just flops off my heels. Any suggestions?

Cal2632 - I wonder if you could get a pair of booties and cut the front half off, so your heel area would be wider.

trigfunctions:
Cal2632 - I wonder if you could get a pair of booties and cut the front half off, so your heel area would be wider.

Would probably work, but leaving my boots at home was one of the main reasons I would go for full foot fins.

Anybody up for inventing a full foot fin that has an ankle strap? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom