Full foot fin sizing for narrow foot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

21isfun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know full foot fins are less forginving size wise, so I am trying to estimate size the best I can since I am probably buying from scubatoys. I know all the benefits of open heel, so i don't want to go through that, but for many reasons I want a pair of full foot fins, and I have a narrow foot. I normally wear an 8 or 8.5 in womens, so I'm guessing that I would need a 6.5 or 7 in a unisex fin. Should I go smaller since my foot is narrow? And also, anyone have any suggestions for a good, affordable, model? I've looked at the volo race, avanti excel, and several cressi models as well as a couple of aqualungs?

The Atomic full foot split fin has a narrow foot pocket, BUT the heel is not very deep. Might work for you though. Can't tell you what size to get, since the sizing from one brand to next is not really consistent.

I agree with highdesert that there is an inconsistency when it comes to full foot fin sizing, even though there is a national standard - DIN 7876 - relating to fins in general and the length versus breadth configuration of their foot pockets in particular. You will not really know how well a particular size will fit until you actually try them on - and out in the water. Full-foot fins are designed to fit snugly without cramping. If you err on the side of caution by ordering a pair that is slightly too big, fin grips - triangular straps worn over the ankle, arch and instep (see below)

fingrips.jpg

will keep the fins secure. However, getting the right fit in the first place is best, so consider using a commercial source where you can return or exchange any ill-fitting fins.

I can't advise about the full-foot models you mention. Wherever I am, I always snorkel with full-foot fins, but I much prefer the classic all-rubber variety to ones made out of multiple synthetic materials. I stress this is my personal choice.

You are infinitely better off getting foot-pocket strapped fins instead, because then you can wear reef booties, and put on your fins over your booties, after you have walked out over the reef, for beach dives and for snorkeling. Full foot fins have always been a very bad idea.

Plus, when the beach sand is burning hot, your booties will protect you from heat blisters.

Back
Top Bottom